PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro Seems to forget how to run! SELF RE-SETTING PCM?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Camaro Seems to forget how to run! SELF RE-SETTING PCM?!

OK Fellas. Input is appreciated here....

Car is a 2001 Camaro SS.

I had deleted the A.I.R. system a while back, and the CEL is of course on for this. Well 2 times this week I have gone to start my car, and it busts right off, but it runs rough/and or dies and hunts for an idle for a little bit then smooths out. Just like if you were to unplug the battery for an extended amount of time, and then re-hook it and start it. Both times it has done this the CEL turns off.

Any thoughts guys?

Last edited by Stang Killer; 06-27-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Subsribing. Im having a similar problem.. I posted here for some help too!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

up ttt! Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Same thing here. No matter if i unplug my battery or not, when sitting for more than a couple days it really hunts for idle for a few minutes.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Seems like I brought up an issue that isnt so isolated to my car.
Surely someone has had this issue and solved it?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well since we cant get any input, thought Id share with those having similar issues, what I did to mine to get it to stop. Pulled both terminals off, cleaned them and put them back in TIGHT. Since then, it hasn't happened once. Knock on wood..
Old 06-27-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok. Well it came back. Went to go start it, and it wouldnt stay running. CEL had turned off, same as before. Help would be GREAT.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Elementary, I know, but just in case ... did you cap off the vacuum port on the AIR solenoid up on the intake manifold?

If yes, have you tried an idle & TPS reset?

I'll add that I posted a thread in this forum about the "cruise control and hanging idle" issue I had - the same thing that happens when you reflash the PCM or disconnect the battery. I never found a cause for it, but it gradually disappeared. It was like the PCM reset itself and lost its learned idle settings for no apparent reason.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have posted about this before. Mine had the exact same issue. And I cured it permanently. As it turns out, the rain channel next to the PCM likes to get crap in it and my PCM got wet. Over time, it began corroding more and more until it had those EXACT symptoms. I could clean the terminals and it'd go away for a while. (Well, actually just removing power would make it go away for a while). Anyways, I had to get a new PCM and I sealed every edge with hot glue. It's not always wise to seal electronics like this, but since the case was metal, I figured cooling wouldn't be an issue. This is my 3rd PCM and this one has lasted me over a year since I had those issues. I just kept replacing PCMs untill I saw it was wet. So I can say that if you change your PCM for a hot-glue covered PCM, it should last.

There is always the chance though that your issue is different. I'd suggest getting a buddies PCM and hooking it up to see if that fixes the issue. If it does, you have your solution. Hope I could help!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good info guys! Ill check that out tonight after work. Hopped in it this morning and went to start it and she just clicks. Pulled the positive cable off and there was corrosion on the back side of the terminal between the battery and cable. Nothing a little water and baking soda couldnt fix. Also noticed that the red rubber cover for the cable was smashed in the middle causing a poor connection as the cable couldnt fully seat on the terminal of the battery. Trimmed it up with a razor blade and stuck it back on. I'm betting that was causing some of the issues. But time will tell.