Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

mos recommendations....US Army

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default mos recommendations....US Army

I entered into a texas national guard enlisted contract with OCS. I think I've decided to not go the officer route....as I initially joined for job skills and as an OCS candidate, I don't get to pick my job and will probably end of in infantry....the last thing I wanted.

No flaming, nothing wrong with infantry, just not what I want at 31. Maybe when I was 18.

Anyways, Ive been told I tested into just about any job I want on initial testing at meps. I've interested in intelligence, but want to know, ore about specific jobs in the field. Other fields like mechanical are also interesting. But priority #1 is job skills, #2 is bonus if the job happens to pay one.

Any thoughts? I've only been in about 7 months, went thru BCT only.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pick something that makes your 5 quick and reclass on your first reup bc they'll probably offer you the world. Then do what you really want. Just remember if it aint on paper you aint getting it. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Reup = reenlist? Sorry not good on all terminology yet. First in my family to be in military so im way behind. Lol.

Its on paper im an OCS candidate, but its also in paper that I can back out and get mos-q'd if I fail out or quit OCS. I haven't even started it yet....so that's not a problem.

I don't plan to reenlist in 6 yrs., but maybe if im doing something I actually want to I will stay in.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah reenlist. OCS is def the way to go if its an option for you. Its money, plain and simple. 6 yrs is def a long time to do a crap job. If you're a young guy and don't really have an idea what you want to do yet just think about what you can do with your experience when you get out. Look down the road a little.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Guess you missed the original posts meaning....I do not want to go the OCS route after all. So im looking at enlisted options. I have 6 yrs left on THIS contract.
With my degree and experience, the secuirty clearances I could get would help me later. Or a new field, like mechanical, could help me start a new career when I get home.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I got what you meant I was just trying to change your mind about the OCS because that's kind of a big deal. Sorry... When I went in I made a very hasty choice because I just wanted to serve my country. I was a mechanic just because I couldn't really think of what I wanted to do and I got impatient. My military experience helped me none because I chose a job that wasn't in high demand. I guess you just need to try to decide what would go with your degree that way you have some experience in that field. I work for the DOD now and when I got hired I had to get a new security clearance so I wouldn't really let that clearance deal carry much weight. As a matter of a fact when I got my commercial drivers license I had to get another back ground check from the state, as a DOD employee. I'm sorry I'm not much help but all I really know to tell you is to pick a job that you plan on getting your degree in that way you will be getting experience doing that.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:29 AM
TECH Regular

Defiantly go OCs. I just got my 5 and still going to school for OCs or warrant. Not sure what I want to do yet I'm still young and all. If I were you stick with OCS. I am a 12N which is heavy equipment operator. Dozers scrapers graders drive truck and trailer. Build roads parking lots etc. I love my job but want more pay so officer or warrant is where it's at. Stay OCs!!!!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

go OCS...seriously. Enlisted is a crap life, compared to them. Only officers I ever see put in real working hours are Company Commanders. But all they do is sign paperwork all day, not like real work enlisted do.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, let me fill you in on something, if you go OCS, you get three options THAT THE ARMY CHOOSES BUT YOU CHOOSE FROM THE THREE. Soooo if you get 11A as one of your options you can choose another one, like FIELD ARTILLERY! or ADA (If it flies it dies!).
Old 06-26-2012, 05:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

If i had to pick it over agian and im stilll trying to, go Warrant if you like to get your hands dirty every now and then
Old 06-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Launching!

Im a grunt, but if I was going to do anything besides walking around a **** ton, I would like to go warrant and learn to fly helicopters. I'm not sure if that is an option for you at this point or not. You will prolly have to go through some sort of AIT and be there at least a year before you try, but it's definitely something worth looking into at least.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

there are a few warrant jobs that dont need feeder MOS's, such as allied trade and rotary wing. but alot of them do have it. also you need a GT score of 110 or higher and a recommendation from a W-3 or higer. If i can get a slot. im going.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're set on going enlisted, go UAV. Either as a 15E(maintainer) or W(operator). Both have a growing demand and if you deploy as a civilian after you get out you make great money.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

My scores shouldn't be the problem, my GT was 132 I believe.
I emailed my recruiter about going to AIT, but no response yet.
At least I have something to do during AT now.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
If i had to pick it over agian and im stilll trying to, go Warrant if you like to get your hands dirty every now and then
ive never seen a chief get their hands dirty
where are these chiefs you speak of? lol
Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dreww
I entered into a texas national guard enlisted contract with OCS. I think I've decided to not go the officer route....as I initially joined for job skills and as an OCS candidate, I don't get to pick my job and will probably end of in infantry....the last thing I wanted.

No flaming, nothing wrong with infantry, just not what I want at 31. Maybe when I was 18.

Anyways, Ive been told I tested into just about any job I want on initial testing at meps. I've interested in intelligence, but want to know, ore about specific jobs in the field. Other fields like mechanical are also interesting. But priority #1 is job skills, #2 is bonus if the job happens to pay one.

Any thoughts? I've only been in about 7 months, went thru BCT only.

go into the navy. better jobs, better programs, higher chance of being hired into a civilian postion upon discharge, better pay and better overall life. not being biased because i am navy just saying thats honestly how it breaks down over here. and you mentioned intel, well the navy does plenty of that. im an AT2 (E5) over here at nas jax and i work with avionics. its not intel but several rates in my squadron work at ops and plan the missions our aircraft fly. check all the services and in the end choose the best one to suit you.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mpmjason
ive never seen a chief get their hands dirty
where are these chiefs you speak of? lol
lol x2

for the navy if the chief doesnt have a cup of coffee in his hand well then your fucked and probably some ***** about to go down.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

To tell you the truth... its not all that bad being infantry... Im a radio operator (which means im always attached to infantry). The stuff that they do is damn exciting from what ive seen, makes me regret for not waiting for infantry MOS at the time...
Old 06-29-2012, 04:32 AM
TECH Addict

I was a tanker (abrams) for 6 years before i wnt reserves. funnest 6 years of my life. unfortunatly the army is all about urban and mountain warfare right now so no big tank battles. but the letting a 120mm sabot round and WATCHING it hit is pure extasy lol
Old 06-29-2012, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Infantry in my unit =battle drills and sitting around.

That's its, that's ALL I will be doing at drill for 6 more years. Not exactly all I can be.

Quick Reply: mos recommendations....US Army