Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

DIY differential replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 01:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY differential replacement questions

I have a G80 that needs to be replaced and have already purchased an Auburn Limited Slip Differential. What I'm wondering is if this is possibly a job I could knock out by myself. I've replaced my car's fuel pump, water pump, distributor, intake manifold gaskets, ect no sweat, but I'm a little weary about this. However, I do have a service manual to walk me through the procedure.

I was told by a local shop that by just replacing the differential and keeping the same ring gear, I wouldn't have to worry about backlash when installing my auburn unit because my ratio/ring gear is the same. Is this true? I feel like this guy was just thinking of backlash related to the ring and pinion (since I'd leave the pinion/yoke alone) and not the carrier side bearings/shims. I'll buy a dial caliper and learn to use it if its necessary, though.

Also, I was thinking that I'd just replace the side carrier bearings and use my ball joint press (clamped to my vise) to press them onto the differential. Bad idea?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

IF the replacement carrier and replacement carrier bearings are EXACTLY dimensionally the same as what came out,lash should be very close to what's needed. If not you'll need a shim kit.
Carrier bearing caps have to be marked before removed as they are not interchangeable.
Carrier bearing shims are not interchangeable unless you have to re-shim,then it doesn't matter.

Quick Reply: DIY differential replacement questions