Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Automobile Mag: '12 ZL1 tops the '13 GT500, Part 1 of 3

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Automobile Mag: '12 ZL1 tops the '13 GT500, Part 1 of 3

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews..._shelby_gt500/

From an on-track perspective there is no contest. For this year, at least, the victory well and truly belongs to the ZL1. Its handling capabilities far exceed the straight-line advantage owned by the Shelby. But remember, this victory may only be short-lived. After all, we are less than two years away from the birth of the redesigned Mustang, which will likely ditch the ancient live rear axle in favor of the superior independent rear suspension. And this could mean we rewrite the rulebook yet again. Then again, as we found out today, the rulebook doesn't mean much anyway.
Ouch! I feel bad for the GT500 fan boys and the Ford engineers after reading this article . The only positive thing the author said about the "stuck pig" was the "monstrous" power.

Last edited by texas94z; 06-19-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marking so i can read the article tonight.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting read. Unfortunately I doubt anyone cares...they're too busy looking at the hp/weight and 1/4 times.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think the ZL1 outdid anyone.

It may be faster around a track, but who honestly goes canyon carving against another car on public roads? Its as moot of a point as the gt500 can do 200mph.

theyre both great cars, and hopefully only adds fuel to the fire.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I wonder how many times the words fanboy, nut hugger, nut swinger, etc are going to be used in this thread.

Like I said before, GM built an all around great car that can do everything well. And that includes 1/4 mile, just because the GT500 is faster doesnt mean the ZL1 isnt fast at all. Ford built a great motor then did the best they could to conform the car around it. They just want to win the marketing/numbers game and dont truly care about having an all around great car as long as they have the bragging rights (which is what most care about anyway)...

"As I wheeled the Shelby GT500 around Gingerman, the first thing to strike me was how long the gear ratios are. A full lap needs only second and third gear, a preposterous fact when you realize I was maxing out at about 130 mph on the back straight. Having just two usable gears really limited my choices and I often felt either over- or undergeared for each bend."

And from the inside line article: "What the Ford gains in perception, it loses in drivability thanks to a tall 3.31 rear-end gear that allows it to reach 60 mph in 1st gear and claim a top speed over 200 mph. This gearing is purely a marketing tool designed to achieve stunning 0-60 numbers and a headline-worthy top speed. The trade-off is overcoming that tall ratio every time you pull away from a stop in the Shelby. Ample torque makes this manageable, but it still requires considerable attention to an area where the ZL1 is utterly seamless in comparison."
Old 06-19-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Hmmmm this is one article out of the dozens of others that claim the mustang as better. Magazines are so subjective, it's like politics. It's almost impossible to get to the real results lol.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
Hmmmm this is one article out of the dozens of others that claim the mustang as better. Magazines are so subjective, it's like politics. It's almost impossible to get to the real results lol.
i haven't read the article yet....but your post above......i'm shocked to hear someone say that. shocked i tells ya.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Interesting read. Unfortunately I doubt anyone cares...they're too busy looking at the hp/weight and 1/4 times.
There is nothing wrong with a heated American muscle drag racing debate between the Ford and Chevy loyalist. I love the passion of the two sides because it creates fierce competition between the brands. The competition between Chevy and Ford is what makes those two companys the best in the world.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

No surprises in that test. Now I can't wait to watch the 1LE to spank the **** out of the boss.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by zz4camaro1980
I wonder how many times the words fanboy, nut hugger, nut swinger, etc are going to be used in this thread.

Like I said before, GM built an all around great car that can do everything well. And that includes 1/4 mile, just because the GT500 is faster doesnt mean the ZL1 isnt fast at all. Ford built a great motor then did the best they could to conform the car around it. They just want to win the marketing/numbers game and dont truly care about having an all around great car as long as they have the bragging rights (which is what most care about anyway)...

"As I wheeled the Shelby GT500 around Gingerman, the first thing to strike me was how long the gear ratios are. A full lap needs only second and third gear, a preposterous fact when you realize I was maxing out at about 130 mph on the back straight. Having just two usable gears really limited my choices and I often felt either over- or undergeared for each bend."

And from the inside line article: "What the Ford gains in perception, it loses in drivability thanks to a tall 3.31 rear-end gear that allows it to reach 60 mph in 1st gear and claim a top speed over 200 mph. This gearing is purely a marketing tool designed to achieve stunning 0-60 numbers and a headline-worthy top speed. The trade-off is overcoming that tall ratio every time you pull away from a stop in the Shelby. Ample torque makes this manageable, but it still requires considerable attention to an area where the ZL1 is utterly seamless in comparison."
The ZL1 and GT500 are two diverse cars that excel in different areas of performance. The GT500 is in its own league and truly has no competition. The ZL1 and BOSS Laguna Seca is a better comparison IMO. But ultimately, you have to compare the two supercharged beasts against each other.

Last edited by texas94z; 06-19-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tainted
I dont think the ZL1 outdid anyone.

It may be faster around a track, but who honestly goes canyon carving against another car on public roads? Its as moot of a point as the gt500 can do 200mph.

theyre both great cars, and hopefully only adds fuel to the fire.
My friends and I do it all the time here in Arizona.

My G8 GXP really shines on mountain roads like 89A here, it's chassis is the most impressive part of the car and that's saying a lot. It has no issues keeping up with my friends new BOSS 302 on these roads and it's much more fun than going to Firebird.

There's nothing better than having a car that can both push you into your seat and against your door.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TriShield

My G8 GXP really shines on mountain roads like 89A here, it's chassis is the most impressive part of the car and that's saying a lot. It has no issues keeping up with my friends new BOSS 302 on these roads and it's much more fun than going to Firebird.

There's nothing better than having a car that can both push you into your seat and against your door.
Wish there was something like that here. Any of the road course tracks here suck, and I cant think of any road to do it on either. I guess if you live where you can do these things then its all gravy. Sadly I dont
Old 06-19-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

if your car's pushing you against the door, you may wanna upgrade your seats.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Wish there was something like that here. Any of the road course tracks here suck, and I cant think of any road to do it on either. I guess if you live where you can do these things then its all gravy. Sadly I dont
The mountains is one of the good things about living here.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

yes,GM should be embarrassed.

they made an all purpose pony car.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

i've got nj motorsports park near me, and although i've not run there yet, i hope to do so before the summers out. it's supposed to be one of the best tracks on the east coast....definitely one of the hardest.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield

I'm guessing that your friend needs a driver mod, or was sand bagging it. I don't see any other way the G8 could hang with a Boss on a twisty road. Its like saying a Ford Taurus SHO has no problem hanging with a 1LE Camaro.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:38 PM
9 Second Club

So basically if you buy the Mustang you typically are missing most of your teeth and have a tendency to marry your Sister?

I agree with the author then!...LMAO
Old 06-19-2012, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gt 500 1:45:21 vs zl1 1:44:53 wow....
Old 06-19-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Z Fury
I'm guessing that your friend needs a driver mod, or was sand bagging it. I don't see any other way the G8 could hang with a Boss on a twisty road.
He's an instructor for NASA out here and an exceptional driver. This was with a group of eight hot cars or so going to Prescott. It's a fun road to drive aggressively on and the point isn't automotive dick waving, it's just for fun. There is no doubt his car is substantially faster from a stop and roll but him not completely losing me in the twisty stuff says a lot about the G8.

Quick Reply: Automobile Mag: '12 ZL1 tops the '13 GT500, Part 1 of 3