LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car heats up when cruising

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car heats up when cruising

When street driving the car the temps stay around 180. When crusing on the highway or driving agressively it starts going up. Haven't pushed it to see how high it will go but I've seen 210 (middle of the water temp gauge). Anybody ever experience this?

I have a 160 tstat and the fans have been programmed to come on sooner. The problem started after i changed a bad plug wire and got the car running on all cylinders. Once I changed the plug wires the car felt stronger than ever but i ran into this heating up issue. Also I find myself having to refill the coolant but i havent seen any leaks and there isnt any in the oil.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Rules
When street driving the car the temps stay around 180. When crusing on the highway or driving agressively it starts going up. Haven't pushed it to see how high it will go but I've seen 210 (middle of the water temp gauge). Anybody ever experience this?

I have a 160 tstat and the fans have been programmed to come on sooner. The problem started after i changed a bad plug wire and got the car running on all cylinders. Once I changed the plug wires the car felt stronger than ever but i ran into this heating up issue. Also I find myself having to refill the coolant but i havent seen any leaks and there isnt any in the oil.
Most always air flow related. The fans shut off about 40 mph. First I would check the air dam below the radiator. Easy to break pulling up to convienience store curbs.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

A bad head gasket doesn't necessarily have to leak coolant into oil. The gasket could have broken between a water jacket and cylinder. Take all your plugs out, get a pressure tester and test your coolant system to see if it will keep pressure. Do not pressurize it more than 18lbs. If it doesn't hold pressure and you don't see any coolant leaking from anywhere, rotate the engine and see if coolant then comes out of any of the plug holes. If you are loosing coolant it's going somewhere. Either an external source or you're burning it. Make sure to do the test with the engine completely cool.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:32 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If a leaking head gasket does not leak compression into other cylinders or into the oil, it will leak coolant externally or compression into the coolant. He would see a coolant loss. They don't just magically leak to nowhere.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:32 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Most always air flow related. The fans shut off about 40 mph. First I would check the air dam below the radiator. Easy to break pulling up to convienience store curbs.
I left my airdamn off when I had just finished dropping in my new motor, I wanted to test the tune you put in and it did the same thing as you just stated.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
If a leaking head gasket does not leak compression into other cylinders or into the oil, it will leak coolant externally or compression into the coolant. He would see a coolant loss. They don't just magically leak to nowhere.
Perhaps you overlooked this?

Originally Posted by C_Rules
Also I find myself having to refill the coolant but i havent seen any leaks and there isnt any in the oil.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the advice guys. the bottom splatter cover is not bolted on the back side. its hanging and blocking the air dam. i'll screw that on and see if that fixes the problem. if not then i'll pressure test the system. any idea what size screws were used from the factory on that?

Quick Reply: Car heats up when cruising