LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Just got my GXP

Old 06-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my GXP

Well after months of debating putting more money into my Bonneville or buying another car I was ready to put another grand into the Bonne. I couldn't find a car I liked because I'm so damn picky. I used to sell cars and have driven so many very nice cars that I scrutinize a quite a bit. I had my choices down to a used Chrysler 300C AWD, used Acura TSX (M/T), new leased Hyundai Genesis Coupe (2.0 M/T), used Subaru WRX (M/T hatchback), used Subaru Baja (turbo M/T), used Cadillac SRX V8, or the Grand Prix GXP / Monte SS V8. Every one of these cars has expensive downfalls, even the imports! I wasn't liking a $1000 or more in timing belt/tensioner adjustment maintenance on the Subarus.

All of these cars had me sold but I couldn't find one with low mileage or at a price I thought was a decent deal within 150 miles of me. Then my GXP popped up the a couple days before I was going to have the work done on my Bonneville and I couldn't believe it. It's a one owner 06 GXP loaded with every option including nav and only 35,500 miles that was traded in on a Lexus. I worked out a deal and picked it up last Thursday. I have to say I LOVE this car! If I kept my Bonneville I was going to use it as a winter car and get an 05/06 GTO but I had my doubts about the Bonne lasting. The GXP is the perfect comprimise for all season driving. My father in-law just traded in his Bonneville GXP a few months ago and that car was a blast to drive but the head gasket went at 60,000 miles (Good 'ol Northstar). There was so much information on this forum about the pros and cons of the GP GXP that helped me make my decision and I have to thank you guys! I did purcahse a 5 year full coverage warranty because after all it is still a GM and I know about the oil usage and tranny issues. At least I won't have to sink money into it while I'm making payments.

The previous owner replaced the stock mufflers with Walker Quite Flows and it was a lot quiter than stock which bugged the hell out of me. I had the car one day and decided eliminate the mufflers and go straight piped. I love the sound.

The car is at the dealership getting three dents fixed so I've got a loaner Lexus is250 AWD for the day and I did concider that car too if I could have found it locally. Driving the Lexus reassured me of my decision to get the GXP. The build quality of the is250 is supurb but my legs are cramped, seats hurt my back a little, and I prefer the Pontiac's layout and controls, not to mention the added power the GXP has. My only complaint on the GXP is the lack of performance mods and the city gas mileage, but I only averaged 16-17mpg combined with my Bonneville so I figured it should be about the same. I've got my Firebird to play with if I ever really want more power so I gues it's a win-win.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Sounds great! Congrats.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Congrats! Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Teching In

One thing I was wondering is do these cars have a limited slip differential in them? It seems to spin the tires when turning from a dead stop.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes it should have a LSD. It will spin both tires going straight or turning. As far as performance goes you can do anything you can do to any other LS based engine.

Search this Thread