LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Having one of those years!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Having one of those years!

Well so far this year has a been a ******* nightmare for my car. Got my EFI 24x setup in and working well but my ewp crapped out. Replaced the bearing inside and it worked but got 20 miles away and it pooped again. This time the impeller came loose and the casing filled up with water. Pullet it all apart again and locktited it again and problem solved. Drive it to my tuner 2 hrs away i get a phone call first day out hes ripping on it. Got a vibration then a clunk then a bang. Lost 5 and 6th gear! Wonderful, so i tore it down to find out mainshaft and 5-6 driven gear splines are toast. Some things were showing wear so if im going to do it right do it now while it apart. So 1200 later its back together and in the car. We get back to tunning and notice that its starting stumble and misfire after it gets hot. Hp Tuners was showing that it was adding a tone of fuel yet it wouldnt burn and then eventually as it came out of the combution chamber it pope out the exhaust causing it miss etc. So long story short number four plug was almost clean as when i just dropped it in this year! I knew these injectors werent the greatest but **** like 10k and there toast. So heres more damn money into finding a set of Ford red tops to replace them. Oh but it doesnt end there either i have my 8.8 being fabbed in the meantime so its just icing on the cake whenever it gets finished OH YEAH. Here's hoping im done for atleast a week of buying parts. Rant done... Cheers!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
Well so far this year has a been a ******* nightmare for my car. Got my EFI 24x setup in and working well but my ewp crapped out. Replaced the bearing inside and it worked but got 20 miles away and it pooped again. This time the impeller came loose and the casing filled up with water. Pullet it all apart again and locktited it again and problem solved. Drive it to my tuner 2 hrs away i get a phone call first day out hes ripping on it. Got a vibration then a clunk then a bang. Lost 5 and 6th gear! Wonderful, so i tore it down to find out mainshaft and 5-6 driven gear splines are toast. Some things were showing wear so if im going to do it right do it now while it apart. So 1200 later its back together and in the car. We get back to tunning and notice that its starting stumble and misfire after it gets hot. Hp Tuners was showing that it was adding a tone of fuel yet it wouldnt burn and then eventually as it came out of the combution chamber it pope out the exhaust causing it miss etc. So long story short number four plug was almost clean as when i just dropped it in this year! I knew these injectors werent the greatest but **** like 10k and there toast. So heres more damn money into finding a set of Ford red tops to replace them. Oh but it doesnt end there either i have my 8.8 being fabbed in the meantime so its just icing on the cake whenever it gets finished OH YEAH. Here's hoping im done for atleast a week of buying parts. Rant done... Cheers!
All part of the game! If it make you feel better, that stuff is child's play compared to all the issues I've gone through the past 2 years getting my car to where it is now. You have to really love these cars to keep dumping $$$ into them....not a logical choice at all, but it's fun!

old motor
-bad coolant sensor/fouled plugs/rich tune causing shitty dyno #s (240 rwhp) ***FIXED***311rwhp
-bent pushrods due to shitty broken ebay roller rocker (lesson learned)**FIXED***
-stock clutch takes dump from cammed motor***FIXED***
-Mechanic buddy blows up t/56.....claims 4th gear went out taking 5th and 6th with it. SAYS he was driving it easy...a likely story.****REBUILT TRANS***
-Stock posi dies****REBUILT 10 BOLT*****
-Complete rod bolt failure puts rod through the side of the block Everything on the motor is TOAST except for roller rockers and intake/TB***R.I.P.****

NEW motor
-y-pipe won't fit due to 7qt pan****FIXED***
-electric WP not working****FIXED (wire came loose)***
-oil pressure switch broke***FIXED***
-coil and ICM both take a **** ***FIXED****
-complete failure of Professional products damper****FIXED***
-back of intake manifold has classic LT1 oil leak (to do list)
Old 06-19-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think everyone deals with this at some point in time. Hell I totaled my first 99 pewter SS SLP Camaro "may 2011" took everything thing out of it, I mean everything and bought another 99 pewter SS SLP Camaro and put everything in it, then it gets totaled May 2012 FML.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atrain59
I think everyone deals with this at some point in time. Hell I totaled my first 99 pewter SS SLP Camaro "may 2011" took everything thing out of it, I mean everything and bought another 99 pewter SS SLP Camaro and put everything in it, then it gets totaled May 2012 FML.
Ouch....time for a Firebird! Stay away from those pewter Camaros and don't leave your house during the month of May!
Old 06-19-2012, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had problems like this then finally fixed everything and life has been good. I used to be the king of weird **** but now I have bestowed that title to some other poor sap on the board who shall remain nameless mainly becasue I forgot his name. LOL.

Hang in there.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well hoping things are on the up and up as i just got a lightly used set of Ford SVO Red Tops that just came in the mail today. Hope to get back to tuning this weekend and finish it off without breaking or running into something else.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well update the injectors are in and working well but theres still the issue with the 6100rpm runout. Best case scenario it would be the springs need replacing. Next best case would be a set of springs. Worst case scenario would be the heads arent sealing and will need to be pulled. Good news is the heads seal great. We found out that #1 rocker is showing wear from the guideplate rubbing against it so i have one on order. We found out that the springs were set at 1.800 and have 131lb of seat pressure. Lloyd recc'd us to have 145-150lb. I can set these Pac 1518s up at 1.750 and get to 145lb at the seat. Problem is i dont know if these springs were used when i got them with the heads and they may already have fatigue and may not hit the 145lb. So on order is a set of Patriot Exteme Gold Duals which are best on the market and will forever solve this problem or so i hope. Waiting for parts to come in and will post back when its all done! Woot it just doesnt end LOL
Old 07-17-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update:

The Patriot Extemes are on mass back order and the Golds wont cut it. Called around to try and get lucky finding a set someone had on the shelf with no avail. Ended up calling Lloyd and talking with him for awhile. Great guy to talk with but doesnt shut up LOL. Sure my long distance bill will be nice when it comes as im from Canada. Anywho Lloyd hooked me up with one of his DIY kits he uses right now which consists of Crane SBC double springs, retainers, lock, seals, etc. Got the springs in and they seem to be doing there job we set them up to attain 155lb seat at 1.780" vs the PAC 1518s with 131lb at 1.800 originally setup by the engine builder. Peak airflow is still around 6100rpm but it still pulls to 6400rpm or so. I now no longer have any valvetrain or float issues!

My mechanic buddy has it now fully tuned and running mint for me to pick up. Going to grab it this weekend and post up a video for sure.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

**** ya..Lloyd is the man. ALways helping everyone out even if it means he dont make $$ on it unlike other sponsors

Im glad it worked out for you and now lets see some damn dyno and drag race vids
Old 07-17-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much did you pay for that 8.8?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lloyd Elliott is the man!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank for the props guys been a long summer without a car yet but now that im getting it back i need to make up for lost time!

Im still waiting my 8.8 to be built but the bare housing fabbed up is around a grand. Already got the posi, gears, rebuilt kits, and a t/a diff cover. Just need to make a order for some 31 spline axles from Moser when and if the 8.8 gets done.

LE is the man no doubt
Old 07-18-2012, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for answering bud, Cal speed quoted me 2k with install I still have the 10 bolt and I know it wont last under boost or hard launches with the t56. Good luck with everything. Subscribed
Old 07-18-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah its been like that for me. I pulled the firebird out from the side of the house. Pulled the engine. Had the machine shop bore .030 over balance everything since it was out. Spring break comes around. Get the crank in. Get the first piston in. Go for the second piston. It slips out and destroys the oil ring. Order a replacement (takes 1 month to get it) its wrong. Order another whole set of rings. Slap everything together. Get the car running but pushrods are to long. Replaced those and the lifters fail to pump up. Replaced the lifters and on the drive it ate about 1.5 quarts of oil threw the exhaust in 5 miles. First rebuild for me failed. Granted this car is cursed and needs to be thrown off a cliff. Looking at $472.20 of parts to re ring the engine with new pistons. Thats all good except for the lack of enthusiasm to even move the thing out of the drive way. I had an offer on the car for $2500 2 years ago. My dad talked me out of it. Now tried to sell it and zero interest because Ls1 cars are so cheap. Know the pain of these cars and want to walk away.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah its just part of the hobby you gotta pay to play but its just the stupid **** that gets to everyone and why we start these rant threads lol

Not doing anymore mods next year other then the 8.8 and leave the ******* thing alone and just drive it for a year and not break the bank like i have done in the last 3 yrs.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update:

Picked the car up from my tuners place on Friday and brought her home. Everything is working mint and she pulls hard to 6500rpm! All bumps are worth it in the end when your back in the drivers seat driving it! Here is the video as promised. The idle is around 900 warm which is a little on the high side but thats an easy change to get a little more chop out of the cam around 750-800.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlF2Z...ature=youtu.be

Quick Reply: Having one of those years!