LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

DTC p1441

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation DTC p1441

So I have a 1996 Z28 that's been throwing a trouble code at me recently and I've been trying to chase down the issue relentlessly. The code is P1441 and I know that relates to the Evap purge valve, canister, ftp sensor among some other things.

For starters I have replaced the EVAP canister purge valve twice and the charcoal canister 2x. I have also blown out both wires going from the EVAP to the canister.

I'm left puzzled at what else it could be given that I've replaced everything I can think of vice the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor located on the top of the tank, which I hope (fingers crossed) I wont have to replace.

I'm hoping there may be something simple I forgot, which seems like a possibility... Anyone out there know where/what else I should look/replace

Thanks. Anything helps.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:50 AM
Teching In

I realize my problem has been beaten into the ground in the past, but nobody seems to still have the issue after doing everything I've done...

Any help out there?
Old 06-22-2012, 05:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's no such thing as a fuel tank pressure sensor.

I also don't see anything in your post about the EVAP purge solenoid (located on the intake manifold just behind the throttle body).

I would also question what happened here: "blown out both wires going from the EVAP to the canister"
Old 06-22-2012, 05:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
There's no such thing as a fuel tank pressure sensor.

I also don't see anything in your post about the EVAP purge solenoid (located on the intake manifold just behind the throttle body).

I would also question what happened here: "blown out both wires going from the EVAP to the canister"
I mean I checked the wires that are commonly plugged with charcoal from the canister and blew them out with compressed air to make sure there wasn't a plug or interference.

And I replaces the EVAP Purge Solenoid (located on the intake manifold just behind the throttle body.) not once but twice. And it still produces the same code.

Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails DTC p1441-img_0102-1-.jpg  
Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Try blowing compressed air through the purge solenoid valve. Also check for voltage as it should be normally closed.

Also disconnect the EVAP lines at the charcoal canister and blow through them with compressed air. If there's a blockage that could also pose problems.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:55 AM
Teching In

Even If the solenoid is brand new I still need to blow it out with compressed air? There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. I'm notice the vacuum coming from the solenoid and everything up top by the intake (pcv, EVAP solenoid, EVAP lines) seem to be working properly.

I'll double check regardless. Idk? It seems if replaced and checked everything and this code is still driving me nuts...
Old 06-22-2012, 06:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm saying if the line was dirty or chunks of charcoal from the old canister made its way into the line they may have gotten stuck either in the line or the valve (despite it being new).

Have you tried clearing the code and seeing if it comes back at all?

You also might have a bad vacuum switch.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:10 AM
Teching In

I took off the solenoid a couple hours ago (yes, despite it being new) and checked to make sure it wasn't choked up. It was perfectly clean inside and out... immaculate.

However, I will clean out my lines again with compressed air and once again (20th times a charm) reset to see if the code clears.

Thanks Joe. I'm a realize I'm a newbie and your in charge here. I'll do my best to clean out the lines and solenoid, but it's still driving me crazy considering I haven't ran into a problem like this in the 5 years I've owned/rebuilt my LT1.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not in charge... Just tryin' to help.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:18 AM
Teching In

Haha thanks.

Just out of curiosity is this DTC such a PITA that one (me and countless others) would have to chase it through numerous components and replace them just to clear it?

What I'm asking is: What aggravates this code? At least most commonly?

I would like to know the route, so I can 1. avoid it and 2. solve it forever....
Old 06-22-2012, 06:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you want to avoid it altogether have it programmed out of the PCM. Depending on your emissions laws you can probably get away with it.

Definitely check the vacuum switch though. That might be giving the PCM a false positive.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:25 AM
Teching In

Will do.

I had the problem last time I had to pass emission control and after I cleared the lines I ran a good 150 miles without throwing the same code allowing me to pass emissions. The car burns clean plain and simple. But you can imagine how smog ***** love seeing DTCs.

Just for my own edification where is the "vacuum switch" located?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:39 AM
Teching In

I believe the the Vacuum switch is located on the PCV next to the EVAP solenoid. The Pcv is new and it has a vent on the under side of it. Is it suppose to be connected to anything or just venting straight out from underneath?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

The vacuum switch is the round object with a single electrical connector in front of the EVAP solenoid. The bottom line of the solenoid goes to the switch then to the charcoal canister. It will have a small elbow coming off of it that is not connected to anything. This is normal.

The PCV valve is supposed to go from the driver side of the intake manifold around to the front of the manifold just underneath the throttle body.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Teching In

PROBLEM SOLVED! Replaced the purge valve solenoid and third times a charm. Looks the valve was emitting flow without the 12v from the pcm. Hopefully I won't have to see this code and experience so much misery again!

I'm still curious as to what causes this to happen. Other than maybe overfilling your tank... IDK?

Quick Reply: DTC p1441