Cadillac CTS-V - RevShift Transmission Block Installed

FuzzyLog1c
06-23-2012, 08:40 PM
I completed the Revshift transmission block installation today. The following is a copy and paste from what I wrote (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/261497-revshift-trans-mount-insert-2.html#post3005254) on the Cadillac Forums. Figured my fellow members here would find it interesting.

Just got RevShift transmission mount installed. Now that I'm finished, I could probably repeat the installation in less than 10 minutes. Instructions:

Put car on jacks. Don't bother removing the exhaust or prepping your vehicle in any other way.
Put hydraulic jack under back of transmission (forward of the transmission brace) and lift until vehicle is almost taken off the jack stands. That'll open the gap slightly.
Lube the RevShift transmission block. Get under the car and use a normal hammer to get the front edge seated equally in the gap on both sides.
Turn the hammer sideways and jam the head up past the transmission mount into the propeller flange. Now you have a lever. Push the handle of the hammer toward the front of the car, forcing the transmission block into the mount. You might have to re-seat the hammer a couple of times to get the right angle.

Impressions: my transmission mount only has 24k miles on it, so it was in very good shape. However, there was a very clear difference between the feel of the car before and after the RevShift transmission block installation. The most obvious change was the fact that by raising the back end of the transmission slightly, more pressure was placed on the shifter plate and consequently, I noticed a mild decrease in shifter slop. It's slightly notchier now that it was before (Katech v2 short shifter + UUC bushings), which isn't appreciated, but doesn't affect my ability to shift. I also feel slightly more transmission vibration through the shifter and into the car, which I like because my "butt dyno" has more data to chew on. When combined with the Creative Steel differential bushing and block, there was a slight, additional reduction in the infamous parade clunk that we all hate. I presume that disengaging the clutch is creating a torque reversal that causes upward deflection in the transmission, which this block tries to counteract.

In summary, the RevShift transmission block is ridiculously overpriced (it probably costs RevShift less than $5 to mold this), but still represents a worthwhile upgrade over the OEM Cadillac transmission mount. I didn't have shifting problems due to a collapsed transmission mount, so I'm not the primary audience for this part. Still, I don't regret the $50 because of the peace of mind and increased vibratory feel through the shifter that this block provides. For those of you that suspect that your shifting problems are due to transmission misalignment, this upgrade is a no-brainer.

dudesweet
06-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Thanks for sharing! This is something I need to consider doing as well.

NeverSatisfied02
06-23-2012, 10:15 PM
I need to order one of these

Zexell
06-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Something I'll be doing along with my motor mount install soon. Heard its a PITA sometimes, but your instructions make it seem simple.

meatyCTS-V
06-23-2012, 10:54 PM
which I like because my "butt dyno" has more data to chew on.

In summary, the RevShift transmission block is ridiculously overpriced (it probably costs RevShift less than $5 to mold this), ...... Still, I don't regret the $50 because of the peace of mind and increased vibratory feel through the shifter that this block provides.

Why is your butt chewing on things, number one? How much do you inset into your butt for it to chew, on a daily/monthly basis?

And secondly, what do you mean by more notchy? By notchy do you mean a firmer shift, that's providing more feedback? Or do you mean that it feels like you're moving it along a smooth surface and then there's a "feel" as if you are plugging something in to a receptacle and there's the feel something kinda locking into place?

The shifter on my miata feels like you're literally moving things around in the gearbox, which I absolutely love. Feels like it's connected to a working machine, unlike the spongy shifter in the V.

Have you driven any other cars with a stick that you can compare what your "new" shifter feel is?

Just honestly curious what you mean by notchy. Notchy can mean a lot of things.

-meaty

FuzzyLog1c
06-24-2012, 06:21 AM
And secondly, what do you mean by more notchy? By notchy do you mean a firmer shift, that's providing more feedback? Or do you mean that it feels like you're moving it along a smooth surface and then there's a "feel" as if you are plugging something in to a receptacle and there's the feel something kinda locking into place?

By "notchy," I mean that I can feel the each individual gear slot distinctly, and when I shift, I can feel the transmission changing gears.

In a sense, I agree that it's cool to feel what's going on inside the transmission. However, it also means that you have to be more precise when changing gears since the shifter can no longer compensate for any minor mistakes on your end.

Put differently, a stock CTS-V will find 3rd gear for you, even if you move the shifter a little past 3rd (toward 1st or 5th) because the sloppy linkage can deflect a little to either side when it hits the edge of a slot. With a more precise shifter, if you hit the edge of a slot, you'll feel the impact and resistance and have to make up for it--in the blink of an eye--by guiding the shifter in the right direction and adding more muscle.

RADEoN
06-24-2012, 07:19 AM
That's the first time in my life I've ever heard someone say shifter slop helps them get into gear.

tommycompton
06-24-2012, 08:34 AM
I could see it helping when the mount gets compressed. But my mount the rubber actually seperated from the metal. When i would go over bumps I could feel the shifter lift in my hand. I did and would still prefer a poly mount.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e29/tommycompton/trannymount.jpg

aurora40
06-24-2012, 09:35 AM
That's the first time in my life I've ever heard someone say shifter slop helps them get into gear.

I think it is a lot easier to find gears on the stock shifter than the UUC one. But the UUC one "feels" better because there is less slop or sideways movement. It's still a crappy linkage though, so that feel is somewhat artificial and it definitely doesn't help you shift quickly.

FuzzyLog1c
06-24-2012, 09:52 AM
I think it is a lot easier to find gears on the stock shifter than the UUC one. But the UUC one "feels" better because there is less slop or sideways movement. It's still a crappy linkage though, so that feel is somewhat artificial and it definitely doesn't help you shift quickly.

Speaking of which, the shorter the shifter, the less leverage you have. Translation: short shifters require more strength. And they tend to expose any shortcomings in the linkage.

meatyCTS-V
06-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Speaking of which, the shorter the shifter, the less leverage you have. Translation: short shifters require more strength. And they tend to expose any shortcomings in the linkage.

Have you ever driven a FWD car with an adjustable shifter where you can adjust the fulcrum up and down along the length of a shifter?

I've never once heard anyone say "Yeah, now my right arm is looking like Popeye's because I have this thing adjusted as low as it'll go!"

I can't imagine it being any different in the V.

Also, you can buy weighted gear shift knobs... I imagine that would negate any kind of feeling of having to put "strength" behind your shift.

-RADEoN

DougNuts
06-24-2012, 04:33 PM
I didn't know this was available. I recently installed a brand new GM mount, so I just ordered this insert to put in it.

etcts-v
06-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Great write up Fuzzy, way easier than what I did!!

The insert made a huge difference in my ability to shift, my mount had collapsed almost completely, worth every penny.

BudRacing
06-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Has this mount cured anyone's stubborn shift into first from a stop?

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/geniuses.jpg

xbladr
06-27-2012, 06:59 PM
I installed this today with the tips from Fuzzy it went extremely smooth. I was able to pry it in without much issue.

I put the vehicle on the ground and shifted gears and it felt good real solid I was excited had just gotten out of an 11 hour shift had been up for over 24hours and went to bed. Woke up late and had to head back into work. I reversed out of my driveway and it felt great. I started driving put it in first... then second? Second? What the hell. Trying to get it into second gear while moving was extremely difficult and when you got it in it would vibrate horrifically unless i held it to the bottom left of the shifter gate with all my strength then it wouldn't vibrate. I said ok lets try 3rd and that was smooth like first. I then tried 4th and everytime you tried to put it in it sound like gears grinding it was terrible. I put it in 5th that was fine even 6th was ok.

Anyone have any ideas why this could be happening? I have the (custom short shifter) and am thinking of maybe adjusting that bottom bolt that hooks to the linkage. I know people have said sometimes if the nut is too tight or loose it can cause issues but does anyone else have any ideas?

lollygagger8
06-28-2012, 08:16 AM
I installed their MM's and Revshift's stuff is top notch....I wouldn't expect anything less from this mount. Nice writeup!

Gabbiani
06-28-2012, 09:00 AM
My wife says mine requires too much strength. She hates driving it since I shortened it and moved the pivot point.

FuzzyLog1c
06-28-2012, 09:29 AM
My wife says mine requires too much strength. She hates driving it since I shortened it and moved the pivot point.

That's a pet peeve of mine: women's wrist strength is typically awful. I was a honor caddy for 9 years. Less than 5% of the women I caddied for could keep their wrists straight when they were swinging any club other than a putter.

*sigh*

lollygagger8
06-28-2012, 11:27 AM
My wrist strength is top notch......lots of practice.

tigerlion
07-03-2012, 11:37 AM
I installed it and the awkwardness of getting in 1st and 2nd gear has been fixed.
So now I have constant shifting feeling for 1 to 6 gears
I did not expect this dramatic change but it happened

But also noise level is also increased. It feels like drivetrain is stick to the chassis.

NeverSatisfied02
07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm still on a stock trans mount. I don't have any issues though. Car shifts just fine. Tempted to order this just to ensure its new and tight. Trying to decide if it's worth it or not...

furbe
07-05-2012, 03:56 PM

This is a bad thing?

tmonttt
09-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Well, I finally got around to installing this thing today and like previously stated, only took about 10 minutes to get in once on jacks. I was able to get it seated in using some grease, dish soap and my hands. Once it was partially in, I used a flat metal bar and pried off of the driveshaft bolts.

Once I got it back on the ground and took it for a drive, the same symptoms as someone in this thread previously was having. I wasn't able to get it into 2nd or 4th without it making a tap tap tap noise. Of course, I realized this was due to having one of the modified stock shifters that have the extra shaft welded to the bottom. I swapped the shifter arm, bushings and sleeve back to the original shifter mount location and it was a night and day difference. I can get into any gear at any speed like butter now. Even cured my going into 1st at a stop issue.

I highly recommend this insert to people who are above 100k miles due to how much the trans mount does begin to sag over time. It made my shifting 10x's better than prior and just overall, an easier driver friendly car.

isis
10-26-2012, 04:08 PM
So using this with a modified stock shifter is a problem? I just ordered both. :-(

07CTS-V
10-27-2012, 07:51 AM
So using this with a modified stock shifter is a problem? I just ordered both. :-(

You can put a spacer and notch out the plastic hold down in the center console. It basically raises the entire shifter into the cabin and keeps the shift linkage from hitting the driveshaft. I've done it to several cars.

isis
10-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Perfect. Shouldn't be hard then. Any tips or links? Or is it pretty obvious once you get in there?

isis
10-29-2012, 01:59 PM
You can put a spacer and notch out the plastic hold down in the center console. It basically raises the entire shifter into the cabin and keeps the shift linkage from hitting the driveshaft. I've done it to several cars.

This is to raise the ball-pivot point right? I see where the spacer would go, but what kind of notch do you mean? I'm not sure I can tell what, besides a spacer, is necessary. It looks like the upside-down tophat thing that the ball sits in should be spaced upwards.

Why and where for the notch? :confused: Thanks for humoring me.

Any measurements on the spacer so I can premake it before I get in there?

chitown21y
10-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Any pics of this?

Busted_Nut
11-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Hey guys,

My '05 has over 100K now, and I am having trouble getting in reverse. I am also hearing a slight "thump" sound when applying the throttle quickly. At one point I was told I needed a new trans mount, but then my mechanic came back and said it looked fine.
Could these symtoms be related to the trans mount?
The install write-up by fuzzy seems so straight forward, but I do not want to get under there get the old collapsed one out and not be able to get the new RevShift back in... anyone think this could be an issue?

Thank you in advance for your advice,

- Nut

DACTARI
11-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Hey guys,

My '05 has over 100K now, and I am having trouble getting in reverse. I am also hearing a slight "thump" sound when applying the throttle quickly. At one point I was told I needed a new trans mount, but then my mechanic came back and said it looked fine.
Could these symtoms be related to the trans mount?
The install write-up by fuzzy seems so straight forward, but I do not want to get under there get the old collapsed one out and not be able to get the new RevShift back in... anyone think this could be an issue?

Thank you in advance for your advice,

- Nut

You need to read the install guide again, then. The RevShift block is inserted INTO the original trans mount. You don't have to take out the trans mount.

Busted_Nut
11-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Thank you Dactari. That makes sense now, when I go back and look at the picture more carefully, I can see the original rubber still in the mount. The new insert just fits in between there. Appreciate the reply.

NIKDSC5
11-06-2012, 04:49 PM
My wrist strength is top notch......lots of practice.

:D :drive:

isis
11-14-2012, 09:32 PM
http://m.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16896461#post16896461

Wanted to link these

thefullmonty_07
11-14-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm still on a stock trans mount. I don't have any issues though. Car shifts just fine. Tempted to order this just to ensure its new and tight. Trying to decide if it's worth it or not...

I'm in the same boat, don't have any issues but I don't know if it'd make better than what I'm use to in anyway. I don't want to install it and run into the issues like some of the other guys had with 1st and 2nd. If you do decide to install it I'd like to know how it turned out for you...that'd help with making a decision.

05CTSV
11-15-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm in the same boat, don't have any issues but I don't know if it'd make better than what I'm use to in anyway. I don't want to install it and run into the issues like some of the other guys had with 1st and 2nd. If you do decide to install it I'd like to know how it turned out for you...that'd help with making a decision.

I just installed mine a couple days back. The install wasn't too bad. I couldn't press mine in from under the car like others. I ended up taking the mount out. For that the exhaust had to come off. The exhaust is still factory, so original bolts, nice and rusty. Several snapped exhaust bolts later the mount was back in. I ended up just drilling out the holes in the factory cat flange and using stainless bolts when putting it back together. Not hard to do, just took longer than I was expecting.

I bought my 05 at a dealer so I have no idea if it's a stock or after market shifter. But Since installing the mount I'm having a light tapping sound at idle, and it becomes more pronounced in 4th gear in the 1500-2000 rpm range. I didn't have the sound before installing the insert. I may try taking it back out tonight to see if the sound goes away. Not sure if that helps anyone's decision or not, just my 2 cents.

I put the blue revshift motor mounts in a few weeks ago, I love those!

FuzzyLog1c
11-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Personally, I think that you probably have one of the two aftermarket "custom" (read: modified stock) shifters. Probably Brian's (PISNUOFF here and on the CadillacForums).

The fact that you stated that the problem occurs at idle and 4th indicates that the problem is most likely caused by the base of the shifter just brushing the transmission. If you're going to have clearance issues, the neutral to 4th gear transition is where you'd have it.

In my opinion, you should take a picture of the shifter from the cup holders to let us see whether your shifter is at stock height. That would help eliminate the possibility that this issue isn't something a symptom of something worse. Barring that (unlikely) outcome, I'll probably recommend just toughing it out until the poly breaks in a little bit. You could shave off a couple millimeters of material on the bottom of the stalk, but I doubt it's worth the effort.

07CTS-V
11-15-2012, 05:32 PM
No matter what REVSHIFT 'debunks' I still believe his mounts raise the motor and trans higher than stock. Being in Warren, MI in no way makes you an automotive design engineer and speculating that the design engineers did not plan on OIL FILLED RUBBER motor mounts compressing is not a correct assumption. After about 2 days of driving, the stock mounts compress, especially the motor mounts. Basically, if anything else is worn out and you have any short shifter you're going to hit.

I knew I should have just had my supplier of polyurethane parts make me some. I suppose I could have them quoted. They would be 1/4" shorter and have the alignment studs.

05CTSV
11-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Personally, I think that you probably have one of the two aftermarket "custom" (read: modified stock) shifters. Probably Brian's (PISNUOFF here and on the CadillacForums).

The fact that you stated that the problem occurs at idle and 4th indicates that the problem is most likely caused by the base of the shifter just brushing the transmission. If you're going to have clearance issues, the neutral to 4th gear transition is where you'd have it.

In my opinion, you should take a picture of the shifter from the cup holders to let us see whether your shifter is at stock height. That would help eliminate the possibility that this issue isn't something a symptom of something worse. Barring that (unlikely) outcome, I'll probably recommend just toughing it out until the poly breaks in a little bit. You could shave off a couple millimeters of material on the bottom of the stalk, but I doubt it's worth the effort.

I think I figured it out this evening. I got the car back up on jacks and started poking around. I remembered that when I reinstalled the mount I had the transmission still supported by the jack when I tightened the two 15mm bolts that bolt the mount to the sides of the transmission. I loosened both sides and the transmission dropped down about an 1/8 of an inch.

With those bolts loose I could lift the transmission up about that high. So I'm suspecting that when I tightened the mount down to the transmission with the transmission up on the jack it was just enough to tweak it and cause the rattle/clunky sound I was hearing. I let the transmission rest its weight on the mount with those to bolts loose I even wiggled it a few more times to make sure it was sitting the mount and not half suspended in the mount. Tightened the bolts backup, took it out for a drive, much improved.

I pulled the shift boot and it looks like I still have the stock shifter. The sound is not present at idle now and just barely there at speeds. I think the mount does increase any driveline vibrations and amplifies them in the body. I'm going to keep the mount in for now and see how it goes.

FuzzyLog1c
11-15-2012, 07:22 PM
If my (and just about everyone else's) experience is anything to go by, the vibration will go away in a couple of weeks of daily driving.

isis
11-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Can the shifter plate be flipped over? It looks like with a little trimming of contours you can flip the plate over that holds the shift assembly against the car. Wouldn't that lift it well enough for any short shifter with a longer lower stalk?

54inches
01-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Just installed my Revshift with the AZ shift and it is hitting the driveshaft connection in 1st and 4th. Time for surgery.

DarkCharisma
01-29-2013, 08:36 AM
I just installed my Revshift trans insert a couple days ago; my factory mount was about 100% compressed; the insert took quite a bit of muscling to get in there with the rubber so compressed, but in the end, it was totally worth it. First, reverse, and 5th are much easier. Less vibes in the cabin, way less stick movement on decel in gear.

DACTARI
01-29-2013, 09:11 AM
I just installed my Revshift trans insert a couple days ago; my factory mount was about 100% compressed; the insert took quite a bit of muscling to get in there with the rubber so compressed, but in the end, it was totally worth it. First, reverse, and 5th are much easier. Less vibes in the cabin, way less stick movement on decel in gear.

Are you rocking a short shifter? If so, which one?

54inches
01-29-2013, 11:13 AM
OK, so here is my take on everything.

RevShift makes a good product.

AZ makes a quality shifter.

If you are going to use both of these products together, then you need to flip the white plastic pivot ball cage that attaches to the shift, over, to gain clearance for the new shifter.

I had HORRIBLE grinding in 2nd and 4th.

To be quite honest, it was that way when I installed the shifter, but only rubbed slightly.

I took it apart, and noticed that it was barely rubbing on the driveshaft coupler.

After a few thousand miles it rubbed a wear spot and all is good.

I looked at it again this weekend and none of the shift linkage, shifter has been worn through, i.e. lost any of it's integrity.

My only concern would be installing an new coupler, which I plan on getting one from RevShift in the future.

Time will tell on this one.

Flipping over the pivot ball cage/retainer, gained about 5/16".

Otherwise, you would have to build a spacer to fit UNDER the metal retaining portion of the shifter, so as to capture the shifter and raise it up to clear the shift linkage.

I feel like both products are great, but were both designed by competent individuals trying to solve an issue with our vehicles.

My issue is solved intermittently.

I have CS Motor mounts and now the revshift tranny mount, so I feel like these are working pretty good together, but I plan on removing the CS stuff and going with RevShift when I get all of the rear cradle bushings.

There is a definite feel of the drivetrain.

There is an increased humm in the stick, but the overall vibrations are gone.

There is less slop in the stick and it goes into gear alot better 70% of the time.

Car feels more like one unit now and less sloppy.

FuzzyLog1c
01-29-2013, 11:18 AM
54, why are you getting rid of your CS motor mounts?

DarkCharisma
01-30-2013, 07:52 AM

I'm not, although I really need to get one ...

54inches
01-30-2013, 12:56 PM
54, why are you getting rid of your CS motor mounts?

I want to have all RevShift bushings that are at the same durometer.

Want to buy them?

FuzzyLog1c
01-30-2013, 01:02 PM
I want to have all RevShift bushings that are at the same durometer.

Want to buy them?

Sorry, I already bought someone's lightly used CS motor mounts. They're sitting on my counter, heat insulated to the teeth. Even so, I fear that I'll be kicking myself later for trying to save a buck.

54inches
01-30-2013, 01:22 PM
You will.

Mine suck.

They are burnt and flaccid.

Mrs.LS6
01-30-2013, 01:40 PM
I have the revshift insert on my car. Before the insert my car had a collapsed OEM piece in there and due to it being collapsed, I had issues with getting te car to go into reverse. With te revshift insert I no longer have that problem. I also do notice the shifting is a slight bit more notchier. Makes it feel more "sportscar" like in my opinion. Overall I love it! :)

FuzzyLog1c
01-30-2013, 03:23 PM
You will.

Mine suck.

You know, I was going to make a joke about that, but "burnt and flaccid" is about right, based on the pictures I've seen.

NIKDSC5
01-30-2013, 03:55 PM
You will.

Mine suck.

So you knew me back in my weed smoking days? :smokin2:

tmonttt
01-30-2013, 04:30 PM
^^^ LOLZ.... I'm honestly surprised you didn't just pick up a new set of the Revshift MM, Fuzzy.

FuzzyLog1c
01-30-2013, 04:47 PM
^^^ LOLZ.... I'm honestly surprised you didn't just pick up a new set of the Revshift MM, Fuzzy.

You know, in hindsight, I should've spent the extra $75 and got a set of Revshift motor mounts, but I'm still holding out hope that, by wrapping the mounts themselves, plus seven layers of header insulation, I'll have long-lasting motor mounts that are a happy medium (87A) between the 95A and 80A Revshift motor mounts.

Of course, this will all be for naught if the supercharged 418 CID motor that I'm building reduces the Creative Steel motor mounts to two cups of black goo.

54inches
01-31-2013, 10:32 AM
You know, I was going to make a joke about that, but "burnt and flaccid" is about right, based on the pictures I've seen.

So you knew me back in my weed smoking days? :smokin2:

:jest::secret::secret::judge:

Blown_Red_97z
09-02-2013, 11:16 PM
Got this installed today. Dropped the mid part of the exhaust and at first I took off the crossmember then took off the mount..... That was before I found this thread. My mount was completely collapsed I couldn't get the insert wedged in.

Did the fuzzy method and got it in after about 15 minutes of working it. The lube is some sticky crap.

Also doesn't the pisnuoff shifter say to flip the delrin to take care of the clearance? I need to install the shifter, motor mounts and headers but ill check on the clearance on the shifter before reinstalling the exhaust.

thefullmonty_07
09-02-2013, 11:29 PM

I'm rolling with a UUC Short Shifter with no issues.

54inches
09-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Soooo, to amend my former statements.....I just put in the RevShift Motormounts and everything is glorious now!!!!!!

Fweasel
09-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Installed the insert today. Spent more time negotiating the claw hammer into place than actually prying the bushing into place. Thanks Fuzz. Quick spin around town after the install, no increased noise, no increased vibration. Reverse is still a pain in the ass, hoping the new shifter and UUC bushings will help with that.

54inches
09-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Between fresh motor mounts, tranny block and rebuilding the shifter with all of the new bushings except for the bronze cup, my shifter is great now.

It is not ideal and shifter is not perfect, but MUCH improved for sure.