Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2 6.0 performance help

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H2 6.0 performance help

I just bought my GF a 2003 H2 that I had intended on doing a Duramax conversion on, but I realisticly cannot afford it to be down long enough to complete, so I sold the duramax and parts.

However this thing is a turd, and I would like to do some smaller mods to help it out power and MPG wise. I want everyday usable hp/tq and I really would rather not kill MPG even worse than it is. I am very familier with diesel engines, but somewhat nieve to what parts would work best for my setup.

What would be a good cam? I have heard good things about the Z06 cams, but really, how much hp/tq can i expect to see out of it? Is it really worth the effort? Im not going to tear the engine down for 20hp. Is there a smaller aftermarket cam that would be better?

I am also considering a front mount turbo, this is something I can do but I do have a couple questions.

Where are you getting your oil supply, and where can I drain oil back?
What size turbo should I run?

I appreciate any info, Bodie
Old 06-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Get with the guys over at Texas Speed on your cam questions, they can most likely point you in the right direction. The H2 is all wheel drive, all the time! Thats one reason its a turd!!
Old 06-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I just rebuilt the transfer case last week. One of the planetary sets were worn and I stripped out a sun gear. It is no different than any other Chevy 4x4 as far as spinning weight though.

I think I'm going to just keep the stock cam and turbo it.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:00 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you do end up doing a cam we have some small cams that will build lots of mid range and low end power to help get that huge thing moving. I also highly recommend looking at some longtube headers if possible. They make huge differences on these motors all the time.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Good deal, I have a set I "sold" to a buddy a couple years ago, just haven't been paid yet. Lol They are Pacesetter Ceramic long tubes. I haven't seen any long tube headers that say they will fit an h2.

Will yalls fit? I really like the looks of your stainless headers, just a little concerned with no coating and heat under the hood for a dd, as the h2 is hot anyway under the hood.

I appreciate the info guys!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah it is spinning weight but a chevy 4x4 can disengage his transfer case and run 2 wheel drive, which dramatically improves throttle response.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:24 AM
Teching In

The engine controls throttle response, not the drivetrain... I assume you mean the AWD loads the engine more than a 2wd because it's in somewhat of a bind, however the tcase has a clutch pack that that divides power 60/40 and really doesnt allow any bind like 4 lock will.

It might make a minute difference in corners, but on the highway there is no difference in performance from 2wd to AWD.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:22 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BodieA
Good deal, I have a set I "sold" to a buddy a couple years ago, just haven't been paid yet. Lol They are Pacesetter Ceramic long tubes. I haven't seen any long tube headers that say they will fit an h2.

Will yalls fit? I really like the looks of your stainless headers, just a little concerned with no coating and heat under the hood for a dd, as the h2 is hot anyway under the hood.

I appreciate the info guys!
We have not put our SS headers on a hummer yet but being that they were built on the same Chassis I don't see it being a problem. I know we have a number of customers with Tahoes and escalades with them on. I know the y-pipes we offer won't fit, especially with the AWD.