Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Car and Driver tests some of the top performance tire at the Tire Rack test track

Old 06-26-2012, 03:58 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car and Driver tests some of the top performance tire at the Tire Rack test track

As some you probably are aware Tire Rack has an on site track where we can test the tires we sell and provide the results of the testing on our website.

Recently Car and Driver Magazine came out to the Tire Rack to put some of the top rated performance tires to the test.

I highly recommend picking up the August issue as it has some great information.

The results were based on a combination of dry, wet performance and ride/noise comfort. Here are the results.

9. Pirelli P Zero
8. Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec
7. Toyo Proxes R1R
6. Goodyear Eagle Asym 2.
5. Continental Extreme Contact DW
4. Hankook Ventus RS-3
3. Yokohama Advan Neova AD08
2. Bridgestone S04 Pole Position
1. Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Feel free to discuss.......
Old 06-27-2012, 04:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What!!!??? No Sumitomo's!!!???

Old 06-27-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, I was looking at getting the Continental Extreme Contact DWS and they don't even show up on here. Any particular reason? Michelin Pilot Super Sport has a UTQG of 300 so I dont see those lasting long on your car, hahaha.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rudytirerack
As some you probably are aware Tire Rack has an on site track where we can test the tires we sell and provide the results of the testing on our website.

Recently Car and Driver Magazine came out to the Tire Rack to put some of the top rated performance tires to the test.

I highly recommend picking up the August issue as it has some great information.

The results were based on a combination of dry, wet performance and ride/noise comfort. Here are the results.

9. Pirelli P Zero
7. Toyo Proxes R1R
4. Hankook Ventus RS-3

Which P Zero, they use that name on almost all their performance tires?

What were the scrores for each tire in each category? Somehow I bet that the Continental DW only beats a tire like the R1-R and Star Spec in ride comfort and noise, with perhaps a small advantage in the wet.

How heavily was each category weighted? There are some real old foggies, and guys who think a highly tuned 4-cylinder is the sound of performance (it was in one of their magazines) writing for C&D. Detailed numbers and comentary are needed.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Don't forget that Tire Rack doesn't carry Falken or Nitto tires - wondering how they would stack up...
Old 06-28-2012, 03:40 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by The Batman
What!!!??? No Sumitomo's!!!???

I know right. Most Sumitomo tires perform well and are an excellent value.

Originally Posted by Jwright41
Wow, I was looking at getting the Continental Extreme Contact DWS and they don't even show up on here. Any particular reason? Michelin Pilot Super Sport has a UTQG of 300 so I dont see those lasting long on your car, hahaha.
DWS is an all season tire and does not have the wet and dry peformance of the tires in this test.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:58 AM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul Huryk
Don't forget that Tire Rack doesn't carry Falken or Nitto tires - wondering how they would stack up...
Tire Rack did not select the tires in the case. Car and Driver has done test here in the past that we do not carry.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Problem?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The better question is why doesn't Tire Rack carry Nitto? It's the only thing that keeps me from coming there to buy my tires.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also look at sizes...At one point I was looking at a Hankook tire for my Formula that got great Car & Driver ratings at the time. Only problem was Hankook didn't make it in a 275/45/17.

I endend up with Nitto NT555's and couldn't be happier.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:48 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Nitto makes some good tires. Unfortunately we just have not been able to come to terms. Who knows what the future may hold.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gotta make a decision on a set of tires soon and was excited when i saw this test in the August issue. Like someone already mentioned I would love to have seen the Nitto NT05 along with the Falken Azenis RT-615 and the BFG sport comp-2. Stinks because in the size I need the price of the top 3 is over $100 more per tire than the NT05. But on some of the autoX forums they rag on the NTO5...so IDK. Has anyone had any direct comparison of the NT05 the Falken Azenis 615 and some of the top performers in this test?
Old 07-07-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

I was pretty set on trying the R1R's on my car as I need tires soon and going back to 275/40/17's, but after reading this test I'm not so sure. I still want a stiffer sidewall for handling, but I want 1st gear to be useful and the KDW's in a 295 weren't quite sticky enough.

Might have to try the BFG Sport Comp 2's. Anyone with 400+rwhp running these yet?

Jason
Old 07-10-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
I was pretty set on trying the R1R's on my car as I need tires soon and going back to 275/40/17's, but after reading this test I'm not so sure. I still want a stiffer sidewall for handling, but I want 1st gear to be useful and the KDW's in a 295 weren't quite sticky enough.

Might have to try the BFG Sport Comp 2's. Anyone with 400+rwhp running these yet?

Jason

The KDW's couldn't tame the beast which was my old 98 Mustang GT. I had 255 40 18's.

It had just a couple of bolt on and I'd regularly break them loose even when accelerating hard in 2nd.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rudytirerack
9. Pirelli P Zero
7. Toyo Proxes R1R
4. Hankook Ventus RS-3

I agree with #1. I thought the Goodyear's would come in #2-3 though.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jwright41
I have the Pilot Super Sports on my G8 and they still have 80% tread left with a caliper measurement. I have driven them about 13K miles so far. I haven't driven a ton of different tires, but these are fantastic.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

I wish t hey made the Michellins Super Sport in more 17" sizes !!!
Old 07-11-2012, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Wish tire rack carried nitto. I'm running invos and they hook up real nice with 400rwhp
Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

I run the older Pilot Sport PS2's and love them, Ive only heard that the Super Sports are just that much better. Im a little dissappointed to see that the BFG brand wasnt chosen to compete in this test, would be curious to see why they chose the tires they did. Im not a Goodyear guy, but I dont think the Eagle Assymetrical 2 was the right choice to compete with this group. Why not chose the Supercar G2? SSCamaro99_3: The Pirelli P Zero is just that, the P Zero. As you would find for a factory tire on a Camaro SS, Porsche 911, Ferarri 458 etc.... typically if its another model of a P Zero, it has another name with it. i.e P Zero Nero, P-Zero Rosso, P Zero Corsa, P Zero system.......http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/ca...pplication=CAR
Im a little surprised that the Pirelli tire didnt fair better than some of its competition. As stated before, will have to read the article to see why certain tires ended up in their respective finishes.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Teching In

I've never driven on Nittos, but I wonder how they compare on that list.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:32 PM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS

Jason
R1R's will have more grip. If thats what your looking for go with those.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car and Driver tests some of the top performance tire at the Tire Rack test track