Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Modified wheel wells?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified wheel wells?

Hey fellas. I'm asking a blind question with this cuz I have no idea if this has been done or if it's reasonably possible.

Right know I'm running C5Z replica rims on the back of my '02 SS mounted with 305 nitto 555r's. I was runnin on em for a while when one day I was thinking about all the spacers and whatnot people would have to use for big tires so I decided to pull one off for a quick looksie and low and behold the inner wheel well is rubbed down to shiny silver metal in a couple rub spots. Thank god i never had a blowout from wear but the tire actually didn't look bad on the rub areas.

So I followed the good ol BFH mod advice and went to town on the contact spots and spray painted en back down so I could pull it off later and check for more rub. Everything checks out so far but I feel there may still be some contact on hard bumps and whatnot. So long story short, if you havnt yet... check your clearance!!

Soo anyway the question. I really don't wanna use spacers cuz I hate the look of tires sticking out past the body. Is there a fairly simple way to replace the wheel well with something wider for wider tires? Would this require extensive body modification (back seat area, etc) thus making this totally unworth the effort? If its not too complicated its seems like a good way to get a little bit of weight reduction by replacing it say carbon fiber or something.

Anyway just wanted to throw it out there. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-SS
I really don't wanna use spacers cuz I hate the look of tires sticking out past the body.
spacers/adapters can be made in whatever size you need, so you wouldn't have to run them that far out..
Old 06-30-2012, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tubbing the rear would be some extensive work. there are some threads on here where guys have done it
Old 06-30-2012, 02:15 AM
Teching In

you could do a mini tub kit from wolf racing (a sponser on here), it does require welding and cutting but you can still keep the back seat, you just have to cut the sail panel plastics. if you want i have pictures of it done to my car
Old 06-30-2012, 02:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In for the pics
Old 07-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Get a fender roller...

Quick Reply: Modified wheel wells?