Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Did an LQ9 swap... Now I got a vibration at speed...

Old 06-28-2012, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Did an LQ9 swap... Now I got a vibration at speed...

I swapped from an LS1 to an LQ9; just completed the swap today. The only things that are new and not just swapped over are a fast intake and a monster stage two clutch. After doing a few searches I'm starting to think that it's my U clamps ... Maybe I didn't tighten them correctly; anyone know the correct procedure. The vibration only occurs at speed and occurs regardless if the car is in gear or not. Any other ideas??
Old 06-28-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nobody has any other ideas?
Anyone know the exact procedure to tighten U bolts?
A torque spec would rock?
Old 06-28-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First you need to check the U-bolts that hold the U-joint in the rear yoke. Did you do that?

Al 95 Z28
Old 06-28-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to do that as soon as I get home from work.
I went down to the parts store and picked up a brand new U joint. I figure if I don't need to replace it then I can return it tomorrow.
Reading online though it looks like I need a press to replace the U Joint..
I'm not sure if I know anyone who has one.
I'm hoping I just over tightened the U joint and re-torqueing them will fix the issue.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright.. so I found the issue. It was the U joints.. but it wasn't over tightening.
It was actually under tightening. I guess in my haste to get everything done I put the drive shaft on and tightened the bolts in until there was resistance and then decided to "torque it to spec later" ( this is something I do a lot and never forget.. until now ). I have to say I'm extremely lucky it didn't let go...
Anyone know the torque specs on the U joints? You could probably could have fit a penny between the clamp and joint itself...
I tightened it up with a wrench but couldn't get a torque wrench under there... my driveway is at a considerable incline and I can't jack up the car so I'm going to take it into a shop down the street to torque up.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IRONFIST
my driveway is at a considerable incline and I can't jack up the car so I'm going to take it into a shop down the street to torque up.
Just make sure they are seated all the way. Be sure to look at it close.

Al 95 Z28

Search this Thread