Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tune it myself or get it tuned

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default tune it myself or get it tuned

so i bought a tuneing book and still debating wheter i shuld tune my car or just pay to have someone tune it... only benefit of me tuning it would be i could keep messing with it instead of the 3 pulls and done.. what do you guys think? combo is a 383 with trickflows fast big cam etc
Old 06-28-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am in the same boat you are!!! I own HPT already though...
Old 06-28-2012, 05:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a ton of spare time, go for it.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I say have a reputable tuner do it for you. Unless, like said above, you have a lot of time on your hands.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... if it's something you plan on messing with or changing up constantly, then you might consider learning to tune it yourself. Otherwise, if you're planning on sticking around with one setup, it might just be better to let someone reputable knock it out for you.

I kinda did both: I got a good deal on getting my car tuned, but now that i'm wanting to upgrade everything slowly, i just went ahead and bought HPT and am SLOWLY learning some things. I think that will be worth it in the end
Old 06-28-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

I bought HPT pro, and couldn't be happier. I think it also helps that I can tune all my cars with it, and use it as a scan tool for all OBD2.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Mez
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SStressin
so i bought a tuneing book and still debating wheter i shuld tune my car or just pay to have someone tune it... only benefit of me tuning it would be i could keep messing with it instead of the 3 pulls and done.. what do you guys think? combo is a 383 with trickflows fast big cam etc
This is what I did. I bought HP Tuners and did a lot of street tuning using a cheap PLX wide-band. Then took it to a good tuner with a dyno and we polish it up together. That way, I learned HP Tuners, how the PCM works, and what is involved in doing a quality tune.

I've heard there are many tuners, as you say, that do a few pulls at WOT and that's all. Because tuning part throttle and idle is very time consuming. A well known tuner said a monkey can tune WOT. A good tuner first re-calibrates the MAF and VE air flow so the PCM can then make the correct fueling calculation under a wide variety condition. Once this is done, its easier to complete the tune. But this takes time to do right.

For me, it was a challenge and fun to learn HP Tuners but the learning curve is long and steep. You have to decide is it worth the hours and gas it takes to learn how to tune. It is much cheaper to have a good tuner do the job since you need a dyno and a wide-band O2 sensor to do it right. I easily spent more just on gas than a quality tune from a professional.

Last edited by Mez; 07-02-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

i already have a wideband in my car.. my setup always changes every year so far soo i think it would be more beneficial to get hptuners.. i heard its not that hard.. ive been reading massports book and i have a local tuner that i watched n can always go to for advice so i think i shuld be good.. when i get hptuners i just would like to know exactly where i should start then work my way up to the wot tune
Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I need some help with mine!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Once you go past the bolt-ons and move on to heads/cam mods I would rather do the tunning myself. You want to at least be able to to adjust your fuel trims and timming for cold and hot weather.

In my experience cammed setups need to be adjusted more when the weather changes.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:11 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
I need some help with mine!
If you had gone with EFILive, I could have helped you out with it... I don't have HPTuners... With a setup like yours, my advice would be to go ahead and get Ed to at least do a base tune for you, if not fully tune it. A twin turbo isn't really the best platform to be learning to tune.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

I say get the software if your going to be constantly changing things out,plus it is very rewarding,ive found it more entertaining at times to tune my car then beat on it,and honestly I have delt with two sponsors and I recived some of the worst service,one of them I paid for services and they never followed thru on them,even though they kept saying they would.luckily I got my money back,but it also pushed me to learn and with help of a member I got my car dialed in.buy the software and learn.its well worth it and you dont have to rely on some one else.the masport book is full of alot of good info as well
Old 07-03-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats the book i have.. im going to go ahead and do it... on my days off i have all day to just dial the car in and i think its pretty fun changing things trying to get it more choppy etc and drivin it around to dial her in! and plus i have the help of ls1 tech to help me with it all! i learnd everything i know from this site.. 4 years ago ive been on here when i bought my car and it taught me to how to do a cam what cam to pick, clutches, rear, etc everything i know is because of this great site! so learning how to tune im sure id get all the info from here if i need help!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

Good to hear,theres alot of good info out there that you can find as well.google works good but you need to weed thru the bs. Its well worth it once your up and running
Old 07-08-2012, 01:07 AM
Staging Lane

if you already invested in hp-tuners, do your own tuning.