Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Motor mount question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mount question

I know this one has been beaten to death, but thought I'd check anyway. I know its been discussed but I want recent opinions/thoughts. At low idle (moving in reverse or slowly in first, and sometimes in other gears) there is a TERRIBLE vibration. I mean terrible, as well as everytime I shut the car off. Motor mounts, harmonic balancer?
Also, I've looked into CS and UMI mounts. I've read good and bad. But why not just replace these with some OEM ones? Price is really not that big of a deal, but is it really worth it to pay that much more for aftermarket ones such as CS or UMI? I auto-x very rarely and make a pass or two every couple of months. I want as little vibration as possible because it is my dd. Fire away!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you want lowest vibrations go oem just realize you will be replacing them more often
Old 06-29-2012, 01:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went UMI with a stock trans mount, and noticed no real vibrations.
I recently installed a BMR anti wheel hop kit and a CS trans mount, and the vibrations at 2k-2500rpm are real. LOL

They don't bother me a whole lot... but they are noticable now.
Still, there's something about having parts in there you know you won't have to change every year that does it for me.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you have headers? If so, your motor mounts may have sagged so far that the header tube is contacting the steering shaft and transmitting engine vibration to the steering wheel.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Replacing busted motor mounts with stock ones is almost a guarantee you'll be changing them again within the next year or two (depending on mileage driven). If you're selling the car, so be it, but you'd be doing the next guy a favor by doing it right the first time.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Do you have headers? If so, your motor mounts may have sagged so far that the header tube is contacting the steering shaft and transmitting engine vibration to the steering wheel.
No headers yet.

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Replacing busted motor mounts with stock ones is almost a guarantee you'll be changing them again within the next year or two (depending on mileage driven). If you're selling the car, so be it, but you'd be doing the next guy a favor by doing it right the first time.
Well the stockers "lasted" quite a while. I put about 20k miles a year on it and dont plan on ever letting the car go. So i feel like i could make new OEM ones last 2 years (maybe). What else should i consider on top of replacing motor mounts? Trans mount or no?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Trans mount is nowhere near as big of a job as motor mounts, so I currently just have a stocker in there for minimal vibration.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

If you go with CS motor and trans mounts you will barely notice a difference if you even notice it. Dump the OEM mounts, and be done with it.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Go with REVSHIFT, their mounts are only $150 for the set and better than stock. You'll save money and have better reliability than stock.

Stock (part number 25759899) is $122.00 each online or $244.00 for the set.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ObfuscatedV
I want as little vibration as possible because it is my dd. Fire away!
Replace both mounts with GM OEM mounts, then install a 1/4" stainless steel cable travel limiter on the drivers side.

Run the cable from the left cylinder head near spare hole just in front of the temp sensor downwards towards the front anti-roll bar mount. Fabricate an angle bracket with two holes that will attach to the mount bolt. Terminate the cable there first, then slide an 8-10" piece of plastic tubing over the cable. Form an eye in the upper end of the cable, ending up with with ~3/8" but no more than 1/2" of slack at the cylinder head hole mentioned above. A BBC Chevy valve spring retainer makes an excellent termination for the cable, having a large enough outer diameter and an inner diameter that will fit the cable radius. When attached with a button-head Stainless steel bolt, it appears to look OEM.

Once installed, it's almost out of completely out of sight, but for those who might be offended by the sight of the steel retainer (usually those who frequent the "other" Cadillac forum) , your friendly Pro-Mod guy will likely have a spare Ti retainer lying around.

Done correctly, there is no down side to this setup. Different variants have been used on the racing community for years, so it's a well-proven system, providing both strength and stock-like feel to the car.

Earlier on, I bought a set of the mounts made by Ryan Skarzenski, which are most excellent, but languish on the shelf to this day, as my OEM mounts are still good (the car is 7 years old this July, with all but 6875 miles powered by a 7-liter).
Old 06-29-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Did you just refer to motor mounts and use languish in the same sentence?
Old 06-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

As for revshift motor mounts, i like the price, but i would need some serious and excellent feedback from anyone whos using them. They seem a little new to me and i havent found much feedback from the V guys regarding revshift
Old 06-29-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As for revshift motor mounts, i like the price, but i would need some serious and excellent feedback from anyone whos using them. They seem a little new to me and i havent found much feedback from the V guys regarding revshift
I've Got them on my V and love them...
Old 06-29-2012, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by etcts-v
Go with REVSHIFT, their mounts are only $150 for the set and better than stock. You'll save money and have better reliability than stock.

^THIS^

and

THIS......

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...l-writeup.html
Old 06-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by etcts-v

Youll have to excuse me, its been a long week. But is the set 150 or 244? I know revshift has different ones-which are best for least vibration for a dd and reliable at the same time?
Old 06-29-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Youll have to excuse me, its been a long week. But is the set 150 or 244? I know revshift has different ones-which are best for least vibration for a dd and reliable at the same time?
Stock set is $244 online (at least that's the best price I found), probably lot more than that at stealership. The part number I listed is for one, same part number both sides.

Revshift is $150 for set, they have red hard and blue softer, I went with blue. Both are same price.

https://www.revshift.com/shop/polyur...llac-cts-v.php
Old 06-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Ah i see. Thanks for the suggestions. Cheapest i found stockers for were 127 for a pair shipped from RockAuto. I think ill give the revshifts a try. Just need to decide which ones. Thanks

Quick Reply: Motor mount question