Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Engine dress up? Red Wire Loom Tubing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dress up? Red Wire Loom Tubing?

I am looking to get Red Wire Loom Tubing to dress up my engine bay, what do you guys recommend being a good brand? would the auto zone stuff be good or is that just cheap stuff and will look terrible. I was looking at summit and they had some good stuff but not sure which brand would be good.

Any suggestions would be helpful because I don't want to spend the money for something that might last a year. Thanks guys!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please don't. Of course it's all about preference, but it will look extremely busy, not to mention cheesy. I opted for a cleaner side-entry nylon braid and removed ALL the bulky plastic loom. Just a thought....

Old 06-30-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

I went that route back when i first had my camaro with the red loom... Eventually got tired of how immature and cheep it looked. I strongly recomend thinking about it before diving into that look.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Launching!

I put red loom also when I bought my SS. I pulled it off about a month later started looking kinda cheap like stated above. Spend the money on some nice engine dress up from one of the sponsors if your looking to clean up the engine bay.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Please don't. Of course it's all about preference, but it will look extremely busy, not to mention cheesy. I opted for a cleaner side-entry nylon braid and removed ALL the bulky plastic loom. Just a thought....

Where do you get that stuff from?
Old 06-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeenZ28
I went that route back when i first had my camaro with the red loom... Eventually got tired of how immature and cheep it looked. I strongly recomend thinking about it before diving into that look.
Same here, had the blue loom for a while. I took it off & it looks much better.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

[IMG]
Yeah. Colored loom is very tackey, IMO.. That braided loom looks awesome! Use the same stuff for the computers!
Old 06-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing screams vtec like bright wire loom, braided line is very nice, thats what im doing mine with,if your gun ho on wire loom get the cheap looking chrome stuff lol lil bling bling
Old 06-30-2012, 06:32 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Lets face it, wires look messy. Would you put bright wire loom on your audio components wires and power lines? No, you find ways to route them to hide them because it gives it a cleaner, classier look. Engine bays are the same. Find ways to reroute them, go with braided lines over the plastic loom, and it'll look a million times classier.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

First I will agree with all above that the colored loom may not be the best way to go.

That being said Taylor (the same company that makes the spark plug wires) makes loom in multiple colors and diameters and sells zip ties in the same colors to match. I think they even have matching colored electrical tape to seal the ends with etc.

I have used miles of their black loom for wiring projects in the past and you should know:

1. It's very sharp! Get some cotton gardening gloves or something to protect your fingers or you will likely cut the crap out of them and that sucks.

2. If you get it too close to something hot (like exhaust) it will melt and make a mess of whatever it touched that was hot and the wires inside.

3. It can hold water. If you wash the engine bay then water can get trapped inside the loom so make sure all connections inside it are heat shrinked or at least covered in electrical tape.

4. If you are running new wiring make sure it works before you get it all inside the loom and looking pretty then have to tear it out to find an issue.

5. If you like to spray Armour All or anything on your engine bay to make it shine, that stuff can sometimes mess up the colored loom by fading it out and staining it. It does not hurt the black loom.

I too have done the colored loom and later tore it all off. I tried the "chrome" plastic loom and later tore it all off too. (The only thing harder to keep clean and nice looking than chrome is chrome plastic loom! LOL).

I have not tried the nylon braided shown above but I am going to look into it for sure.

In the end it's all about what YOU like. It's YOUR car.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Check out Cabletiesandmore.com....everything you guys will need!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Launching!

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/nylo...d-sleeving.php

Is this the stuff, this stuff will look awesome. Stupid question how much would I need? I just want to clean up a bit under the hood bc it looks bad. how much do you guys use?
Old 07-01-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lildemars09
http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/nylo...d-sleeving.php

Is this the stuff, this stuff will look awesome. Stupid question how much would I need? I just want to clean up a bit under the hood bc it looks bad. how much do you guys use?
Nope.....

Side Entry Sleeving

I did my entire harness. Multiple sizes....multiple lengths. Best advice is to plan and order extra.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope.....

Side Entry Sleeving

I did my entire harness. Multiple sizes....multiple lengths. Best advice is to plan and order extra.
Since someone can't post a link correctly I suppose I will do it for them!

Side Entry Sleeving
Old 07-01-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by djfury05
Since someone can't post a link correctly I suppose I will do it for them!

Side Entry Sleeving
Lol... thanks buddy.

Quick Reply: Engine dress up? Red Wire Loom Tubing?