Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

My stab at a DIY OTR Intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My stab at a DIY OTR Intake

***DISCLAIMER*** Excuse the roughness, this was merely to see if my idea would work and it does. Also this will not work if you have A/C as the condenser is in the way.

In looking at the failed C5/C6 intake attempts on GTOs I realized that the main problem was the gap between the core support and the radiator/condenser. My A/C hasnt worked since I bought my GTO and my condenser was shot, so I pulled it out and found I had enough room to work with. here is my starting point. A stock LS2 Vette intake I got for $20

I tried seeing if the assembly would fit as a whole and it would not. SO i began trimming the air bridge. My rough result was this:

The opening is 6.5 inches x 2.5 inches going into the opening for the 85mm MAF, which should be more than enough surface area going into the MAF and TB. I took my MAF and mocked it up in the tube and wound up with this, the MAF can be trimmed slightly and after I trim the fan shroud I will have more clearance to the TB.

The hood DOES CLOSE with this laying on top of the radiator, trimming the shroud will allow for more clearance. So the plan for right now is to find an oval to round angled coupler that will fit coming off the airbridge and buying a filter from Vararam or K&N that could be used on the Vararam kit. The filter is low profile enough to fit in the space but still provide enough flow. I will update this thread with progress as it develops
Old 07-01-2012, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In for more!!
Old 07-01-2012, 02:50 AM
On The Tree

Instead of getting a fitting ti connect the filter to why not just build an air box out of fiberglass like the sevede intake. And be able to use a regular air filter that is easy to replace and cheap.. fiberglass is easy to work with..
Old 07-01-2012, 05:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by quickkris2006
Instead of getting a fitting ti connect the filter to why not just build an air box out of fiberglass like the sevede intake. And be able to use a regular air filter that is easy to replace and cheap.. fiberglass is easy to work with..
So me getting a 60 degree coupler and putting a washable filter on the end of it is harder than building an airbox? All I'm doing is restyling a C6 intake. When everything is done I shouldn't have more than 100 bucks in this.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tomorrow Im going to try to figure out what size coupler I need. a 60 degree 5 inch to 4 inch bend seems like it will work. At the end of the coupler I can run a small section of pipe to the filter. Also probably going to relocate the IAT to the filter
Old 07-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Can't wait to see how it turns out when finished, nice work
Old 07-01-2012, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested to see this.

Essentially will be a Svede or any other OTRCAI, but definitely cool to build your own!
Old 07-01-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Found a 4 inch to 4 inch coupler that will work. I need to order the filter from Vararam, the IAT extension from caspers and I can piece it together
Old 07-01-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gconnoyer
Interested to see this.

Essentially will be a Svede or any other OTRCAI, but definitely cool to build your own!
I was planning on running a Vararam but I would need a hood to do that and right now getting a FAST and a tune was more important to me
Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update for today, again excuse the crudeness. Im going to have to alter the plan a bit. Upon further inspection there is just no room to keep the air bridge the way it is. So I trimmed it back as far as I can and wound up with this (I will be getting a new coupler as well as new ones for the rest of the intake.)

Im going to have to build the intake from the bottom up. I havent figured out how to connect the modified air bridge to the pipe coming off the filter yet. More pics in a week or so

Quick Reply: My stab at a DIY OTR Intake