It's been a while, but I need some advice/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 04:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's been a while, but I need some advice/opinions

I recently found a 2000 WS6, M6. Has cam and full exhaust, the issue I'm having is that it has 172k miles and they're asking $5995. It won't be a dd, just a weekend cruiser, but I don't want something that's going.to be a constant pain. I plan on going to look at it tomorrow. Any advice on ?'s I should ask etc is appreciated, its at a dealer so I'd say asking the owner anything is impossible.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:21 AM
TECH Resident

If it is at a dealer, don't expect them to know much about the car, but they may call the previous owner on your behalf to see if he/she would be willing to talk to you about the car. Believe it or not, I have had a dealer call me once, exact same thing with regard to one of my previous cobras I traded in. That aside, just test drive it and if possible have an independent shop from the dealer take a look at it.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd pass. For that price, or just a little bit more, you can get someting with a lot less miles.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply, if it helps at all, here's the posting. http://www.automotivesalestx.com/inv...bird%20Formula
Old 07-02-2012, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Call the ls1 street and performance place in Arkansas, its on a plaque in the picture. They may be able to tell you more about the build. With that many miles and mods, I would definitely like to get a feel from the owner of how the car was driven. A lot of people hull theses motors out and ditch them. Being, as it looks, the car being from Arkansas it may be hard to do. May have been a cheap flip for the dealer too, never know?

A lot of things point to stay away to me, but if really interested have a mechanic that specializes in the LS1 take a look at it.

Good luck!
Old 07-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Here are the questions that I normally ask when buying an F-Body:

-Condition of rear end
-Any problems mechanically or electrically
-Clean and Clear IN YOUR NAME
-Paperwork on the mods/motor/tranny work (if any)
-Condition of interior
-Condition of wheels/tires
-Any other mods other than what was mentioned
-Any leaks of any kind
-Specs on the cam
-Any problems with the cam (or AC) for daily driving

Some of these can be answered just by looking at the pics, but again keep in mind you are working a dealer who probably isnt going to know anything about the car, much less tell you anything bad about it. I have never actually considered buying a car with that many miles but if I did, it most certainly wouldnt be from a dealer and the cam would be a deal breaker anyway. I would expect to spend a little money just to get a few basic things taken care of from a car those miles.

Bottom line, stay away from this car. You can find a car with 50k less miles for the same price or slightly more and closer to stock form. Anytime you cheap out on the front end, it will always come to bite you on the back end.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies, turns out it was sold over the weekend so my search continues. I have about $3-4k to put down and need the payments at $150 a month or below. I'd prefer a4 (so the wife can enjoy it too) buy an m6 is fine. Also like to find either a formula or ws6 with intake exhaust. Any help finding this is appreciated. My zip is 75050. This is probably the wrong place but I'd appreciate any help.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Looked at and test drove this today
http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/in...6&cardist=6628

Has pacesetter lt's, loudmouth, and black Z06 wheels. Issues: AC was blowing hot, blinkers not flashing (probably a flasher), and third gear would grind. Any thoughts? Car was fun to drive and sounded great. Was only able to talk him down to $9500, I understand that its a firehawk but it does have its issues.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by redta99

Has pacesetter lt's, loudmouth, and black Z06 wheels. Issues: AC was blowing hot, blinkers not flashing (probably a flasher), and third gear would grind. Any thoughts? Car was fun to drive and sounded great. Was only able to talk him down to $9500, I understand that its a firehawk but it does have its issues.
Almost a 130K, fucked AC, grinds in 3rd and he wants 9,500...PASS on that deal
Old 07-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Is this a joke? This is what you listed in your original post:

I don't want something that's going.to be a constant pain.
I suggest you follow your own statement. Think about it, you had to talk the guy down to 9500? This is even worst than the car you listed from the dealer. If your willing to drop another $3k-$4k on top of the $9500 to fix it, why not just buy a car that is going for $12.5-$13.5k? You'll have a much better shot at having a car in better condition with less mileage and less issues, drive it right off and enjoy it.

I purchased a 2000 WS6 (in my sig) for $7500 and was a sweet deal. This car you're looking at, pass and dont look back. Patience is your friend right now. The right car will come along.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Teching In

The $3-4k is a down payment, but I get what you're saying. I hate having the instant gratification syndrome.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Launching!

you're not the only one lol that feeling will last until something major goes out, then you will feel the lowest of lows. keep looking, a good deal will pop up man.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Banned

I'd pass on it, only way I'd get a very high mileage car like that is if it was basically stock and I knew the previous senior citizen owners. Just wait for a deal, i bought my last 99 Z28 A4 w/ 63xxx miles for $7300. It was a 2 owner car and was bone stock.