General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Condensation on AC when not in use...

Old 07-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Condensation on AC when not in use...

I was driving home from the track Friday night (about an hour drive) and when I finally get home I pull it into the garage and hear something dripping onto my longtubes. I fear the worst, grab a flashlight and start searching. I finally look under the car on the passenger side and see a puddle of water, and notice the water sizzling and dripping off of the header. Open the hood, realize there is condensation on my AC compressor. I never once turned on my AC during the drive, but did have my heat on low when I got closer to my house near the lake. Is this normal? I don't see why the AC compressor would have condensation on it unless it is for some reason always running, in which case that would explain why I can't get above 20mpg no matter how hard I try. If there is no way around this and this is normal operation, I am thinking about just pulling my AC since I rarely use it and would rather save the power/gas. Let me know what you think.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the clutch on the compressor turning on and off ? You might want to get a buddy, start the car and get under the pass side and have the buddy turn the A/C on and off and see if the center of the compressor is turning on and off. It sounds to me like the compressor is running all the time.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 321 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Earnhardt
I finally look under the car on the passenger side and see a puddle of water, and notice the water sizzling and dripping
Perfectly normal and happens to every car with air conditioning. The more humid the air, the more condensation you'll get.

Originally Posted by Earnhardt
I never once turned on my AC during the drive, but did have my heat on low when I got closer to my house near the lake. Is this normal? I don't see why the AC compressor would have condensation on it unless it is for some reason always running, in which case that would explain why I can't get above 20mpg no matter how hard I try.
You probably turned on the A/C but didn't know it. The A/C runs as a key part of the front window defogger system. So, if you turned on the heat along with the defogger setting, the A/C will kick on.

If the A/C is kicking on in the floor heat setting, then you may have an issue with the switch at the console, but I'd say this kind of thing would be highly unlikely.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I vote a defrost option was selected.

Search this Thread