Weird problem, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird problem, please help!

Well first off the car is a 99 trans am m6. So here's the problem. I was driving the other morning and in third gear, I gave it a little gas (probably 60% throttle) and when it got right at 3k rpm's it cut the power was back. The clutch wasn't slipping or anything because the rpm's didnt shoot up. It's like the ecu cut the fuel or something. This happens when I give it any throttle probably above 50 percent and it's always around the 3k rpm mark.

I'm thinking maybe fuel filter, coils, spark plugs... Not sure yet though. It's not throwing any codes.

If anyone has any insight it'll be greatly appreciated. I'm sure it's an easy fix I just need to know what it is before I fix it.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Miles and when was ur last tune up when everything was changed filter plugs wires etc...
Old 07-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Teching In

71k miles. I've had the car for approx 2 years (17k miles) and I've not changed the fuel filter, plugs, wires since I've had it.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Do u know if it was changed before u got the car ? If not u just may wanna start with the simple stuff. Fuel filter plugs and may wanna seafoam it .
Old 07-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Yea that's what I was planning on doing. But I figured it couldn't hurt to post on here and see if anyone had any ideas
Old 07-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Sounds like a coil or 2 to me. A lot of times, one coil will drag another one down with it, so you could have more than one. That or a cracked spark plug. I had a 3.8 firebird do that similar thing to me. I cracked the porcellin on one of the plugs and under enough load, it would fire from the plug to the head.

Go out on a quiet road and force the sumbitch to misfire as much as possible. You won't hurt anything and it should throw up a code. Read which cylinder is misfiring and that one is the problem. Replace the plug and wire.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Hm. I ws trying to get it to do it more tonight thinking maybe I could get it to show something. But I got sea foam and a new fuel filter thatll go on tomorrow morning so well see how that works. Even if that doesnt solve it, then at least I hve a new fuel filter and a cleaner fuel system. Tge coils and plugs are next if it doesnt work
Old 07-04-2012, 12:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Log fuel pressure and check the firing of all cylinders.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Even if the filter fixes the problem, not a bad idea to replace the wires/plugs..

Every time I buy a car it gets a full tune up just invade the previous owner was lazy
Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 05 GSXR 1XXX
Even if the filter fixes the problem, not a bad idea to replace the wires/plugs..

Every time I buy a car it gets a full tune up just invade the previous owner was lazy
Yea unfortunately it didn't fix it. But I do agree that that's a good idea and I will do that soon. Maybe this weekend.

I did notice that driving to work this morning, my car acted up worse than it has been. Even just cruising down the highway every now and again I could feel it cutting out. Still No CEL though which is frusterating. I did take it out and force it to do this alot and still no check engine light. Thinking of trying to find a local place that has a scanner and can check all my cylinders for misfires. My local AZ said that their scanner would only work if I was throwing a code. Does that sound right?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Ok, one more update. I just drove to get something to eat, and it was very slow. No more cutting in and out anymore it's just like it's a 150hp car.. wtf. Any ideas? I wont be able to do spark plugs/wires until Saturday morning. If that doesn't fix it then I'll just buy a coil and move it from cylinder to cylinder and see if I can find one that fixes it.It's STILL not throwing and codes.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Ok, so I've been doing some research and read that it could be a bad/dirty maf sensor. So I unplugged the maf, started the car and let it idle for a little then took it for a test drive and it didnt cut power like it had been. Does this narrow it down to a bad/dirty maf or could it still be something else?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Alright, problem solved. I pulled my maf sensor and cleaned the hell out of it with crc maf cleaner, replaced the air filter and it runs great now. Honestly it probably runs better than it has since ive owned it. I also put sea foam in the gas tank after I found that my problem had been fixed, hopefully that will help clean the injectors. Changing the plugs/wires is probably coming up in a couple of weeks. The wires appear to be factory so im guessing the plugs are too..

Quick Reply: Weird problem, please help!