Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

High Mile LS2, Ok to install cam? specs inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default High Mile LS2, Ok to install cam? specs inside

So Im looking to do a cam install on my 05 gto m6. Ive had a few other ls cars and normally wouldnt hestiate but this one has been my daily driver for a long time..

191K miles, Purchased literally from a older man at 120k that did almost all interstate driving, the rest of my miles are all interstate as well.. It still has the original clutch... Which would be done with the cam BTW.

Its been my experience miles doesnt mean everything about condition so I did a few general tests.....

185psi compression in all cyiliders +/- a few psi

Oil pressure cold 42 idle-80 WOT
Hot Pressure 100 degree day 205 engine temp 32 idle 70WOT

Oil consumption test- NO consumption within 3000 miles. oil medium brown in color not black..

While I could rebuild the bottom end, Id prefer not to if its still considered in decent shape otherwise..

Whats everyones thougts?
Old 07-03-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well although those are all good signs for the bottom end that still is a lot of miles. A cam will put stress on components that aren't under as much stress as they originally were...

With that said I would put at least new lifters in. That requires the heads to come off the head gaskets will obviously need to be replaced if thats the case and the heads should be shaved to ensure flatness. You're also going to need new springs with the cam and new valve seals should also be used. Regardless 191k is a lot of miles but if it all checks out and you take the necessary precautions like above i dont see why not.

FWIW also if you're really on a budget all the gaskets and bolts besides the head gasktes and head bolts can be reused.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

never reuse any GM head bolt, for the cost I wouldnt chance it. Buying GM replacement head gaskets and bolt kits are cheap insurance.

I do agree on the lifters, valvetrain wears more the the bottom end does. replace the lifters, valve springs with a kit, with seals and such. new oil pump, timing chain and the new camshaft, and I would let it eat!

Keep good oil in her and I bet she will take a beating for a long time.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any particular reason you wanna cam it ? This is just my line of thinking and kinda whats already been said... Do you or are you going to spend the time and money to support the mod you would like to do . Lifters /springs/pushrods / oil pump/timing chain / Water pump. If it were a jy swap ... i would say slap a cam in it and run ... A factory car that you DD and dont have any problems with .. I would leave it alone, Until you have to do something. That is just me though . GL
Old 07-03-2012, 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive always wanted to cam it, But now that my drive to work is a mile now, it finally seems reasonable to do it.

Just to clear things up, When I do the camswap, all new parts are used...

Itll have dual springs, hardened pushrods, new timing chain, and oil pump.. and a good clutch to back it all up.

Ive even considered droping the oil pan because the gasket is leaking and puting new rod bearings in But Im questioning here if some of this stuff should be done if all else appears good..

I was just looking into the If its not broke dont fix it mentality with as much as possible that If the compression is good, and no oil consumption I didnt want to go in there and replace rings. Lifters are agreeable and could be done
Old 07-07-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no probs with it. itll hold just fine and run just fine as long as its not too radical. give matt @ texas speed a call and check out the 228r cam. they can get you the whole cam kit, and you can get the bolts too, and the gaskets are all cheap as well as the new timing chain. great DD cam tho. IMO

Quick Reply: High Mile LS2, Ok to install cam? specs inside