General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help, ls1 not starting!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, ls1 not starting!!

Hey guys,

Im new here I have a 87 fc3s with a 2002 ls1/t-56. Im having some issues with the motor starting and was hoping I could get some help!!

I recently relocated the abttery to the trunk, changed to a new dash, rebuilt the tranny and a few other things to the car. I gutted all the heater core and most of the useless sensors. When I went to put everything together, I turned the key and got nothing. I was getting 12 v to my starter, but the signal wire had 0 volts (even while cranking).

I then traced the signal wire from the starter motor and it went into the driver side fire wall into the car. It went to a plug with 2 terminals, One for the signal wire from starter, and the other went into the ignition. I jumped a wire connecting the two terminal and the starter worked.

Im trying to find out if this is ok to leave like this? shouldnt there be a Starter Relay?

The car is still not firing!! I still do not know why my fuel pump isn't coming on. Im also getting no spark to the engine. My battery is mounted in my trunk and I have my negative wire going to the chassis. Then I have my engine grounded on the firewall.

There are numerous plugs that go to nothing under the dash. All the heater assembly was removed. I dont know where I should be looking, the fuel pump worked fine before.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

What kind of harness did you use? Did you have vats removed? Did you wire it per instructions? Grounds...... Battery to frame ..Frame to block ...Frame to firewall and for ***** and giggles block to firewall. The frame can be isolated from the body and engine due to rubber mounting pads,paints and rust and such. You can never have too many grounds. Just to clarify ... the starter worked with the key after you jumpered the two wires or ... it turns over when you jumper them?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Emdmechanic
What kind of harness did you use? Did you have vats removed? Did you wire it per instructions? Grounds...... Battery to frame ..Frame to block ...Frame to firewall and for ***** and giggles block to firewall. The frame can be isolated from the body and engine due to rubber mounting pads,paints and rust and such. You can never have too many grounds. Just to clarify ... the starter worked with the key after you jumpered the two wires or ... it turns over when you jumper them?

Yes the starter worked when I jumped the two wires; however, the fuel pump is not turning on and there is no spark.

The motor has ran in this car for several years before I did the battery relocation and new dash etc. The harness is from the rx7 fc and the engine harness from the 2002 camaro ss. I am not sure if VATS is removed or not, the car ran before.

Thanks for the help, trying to figure this problem out and get this car fired up.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Teching In

how would I trouble shoot this problem?
Old 07-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Teching In

I THINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!

I disconnected the ecu and measured voltage at pins 20 and 57 which are the battery positive voltage and am getting 0v.

Now these wires go straight through the firewall into the engine bay, I have not really touched anything in the engine bay, other then the battery relocation.

Should I take this whole engine harness apart? When should I be looking?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Need help, ls1 not starting!!