LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1994 formula firebird backfiring like a mofo

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 formula firebird backfiring like a ****

Hey guys, I posted on camarozone, but wanted other peoples feedback here. My 94 formula firebird was only firing on 7 cylinders when I bought it due to a bad wire. When I was running on 7 the motor ran fine other than missing due to no spark in cylinder 6. Immediatly after replacing the wire it started backfiring all the time. Sometimes it backfires up near the motor(through the intake maybe?) other times its out the exaust. Anyone have any possibilities on this?
The car has a powerdyne supercharger, msd ignition box, and long tube headers. When I had the ses code read it said 02 sensors were bad
Old 07-03-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

Check for arcing in the dark
Old 07-04-2012, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Default good luck

Originally Posted by jhobbins
Hey guys, I posted on camarozone, but wanted other peoples feedback here. My 94 formula firebird was only firing on 7 cylinders when I bought it due to a bad wire. When I was running on 7 the motor ran fine other than missing due to no spark in cylinder 6. Immediatly after replacing the wire it started backfiring all the time. Sometimes it backfires up near the motor(through the intake maybe?) other times its out the exaust. Anyone have any possibilities on this?
The car has a powerdyne supercharger, msd ignition box, and long tube headers. When I had the ses code read it said 02 sensors were bad
If it ran fine , its something you did.
Try rechecking wires ,fireing order, sounds like one is off.(simpliest solution)
http://shbox.com/1/opti.jpg
Old 07-04-2012, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cookietime

If it ran fine , its something you did.
Try rechecking wires ,fireing order, sounds like one is off.(simpliest solution)

http://shbox.com/1/opti.jpg
that was my first thought too but i triple checked and everything is right

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android
Old 07-04-2012, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
Check for arcing in the dark
just turn the lights off and look for it arcing? or do i have to do anything special

Old 07-04-2012, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Just need a dark garage and a running car...sounds safe during the day right?

But yea you would literally see the spark arching or jumping.

You may just want to get a whole new wire kit. Do you know for sure its the same cylinder causing the problem?

Is the MSD ignition box nessecary? Can you just take it off and hook everything back up like factory?
Old 07-04-2012, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by trilkb
Just need a dark garage and a running car...sounds safe during the day right?

But yea you would literally see the spark arching or jumping.

You may just want to get a whole new wire kit. Do you know for sure its the same cylinder causing the problem?

Is the MSD ignition box nessecary? Can you just take it off and hook everything back up like factory?
okay ill try it. yeah i know the wires are pretty old so im sure its time they were changed. im going to unplug the injector on the cylinder i think is having the problems and see what it does. thats another thing i thought of is unplugging the ignitiin box but i dont know how too llol

Old 07-12-2012, 04:37 PM
12 Second Club

so i unplugged the one wire that i replaced, and the backfire completly stopped. what could that mean?

Old 07-12-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

That a SC V8 car shouldn't ever be ran on 7cyl's,
Get a sprAy bottle of water tonight and mist the wires with it running and see if it's arcing on anything, sounds like u fucked up
Old 07-12-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a boosted car that broke a valve spring on the old heads... It ran better with the wire removed from the messed up cyl than it did trying to ignite the hole with the busted spring....
Old 07-12-2012, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by popo8
I have a boosted car that broke a valve spring on the old heads... It ran better
with the wire removed from the messed up cyl than it did trying to ignite the hole with the busted spring....
did it backfire at all?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

did it backfire at all?

Sorry, I forgot to say that. lol

YES it was bad, and if I tried to roll into the throttle it carried on like there was no 2moro...
Old 07-13-2012, 06:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by popo8
Quote:

did it backfire at all?

Sorry, I forgot to say that. lol

YES it was bad, and if I tried to roll into the throttle it carried on like there was no 2moro...
did you just have to remove the valve cover and replace the spring? or was the valve damaged

Old 07-13-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Regular

Well before i evrn pulled tge heads off to find out, i bought an entire top end for the car.... Pulled the motor and began the swap.... It was at that time i was able to inspect the valve. Some how i got lucky and there was no damage to thd valve or the piston.... Maybe because of the dished boost pistons..... Eitger way, i could have just taken a chance and replaced the spring. if i were u... And u have no intentions of doing a new top end start with:

-pulling valve cover and inspecting EVERYTHING. Start the car and inspect it running if inspecting it while off does nothing.

Then, report back. DONT get ahead of yourslf... You may just need to do some rocker/valve adjustment.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

A backfire through the intake means that combustion is happening WHILE an intake valve is open. This is either a mis-routed plug wire a stuck open intake valve, or a blown head gasket. For the exhaust popping, it means the combustion is still happening while the exhaust valve is open OR there is excess fuel vapor being ignited by red-hot carbon inside of the exhaust system.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by joelster
A backfire through the intake means that combustion is happening WHILE an intake valve is open. This is either a mis-routed plug wire a stuck open intake valve, or a blown head gasket. For the exhaust popping, it means the combustion is still happening while the exhaust valve is open OR there is excess fuel vapor being ignited by red-hot carbon inside of the exhaust system.
bingo....
Old 07-13-2012, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by joelster
i know the head gasket isnt blown, it seems like that one wire is the only one that the timing is off. how can i check for the intake valve being stuck? (it doesnt always backfire through the intake, it seems to happen mostly at idle)

Old 07-13-2012, 12:20 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Does it only backfire under load, or all the time? I know after my car sat for several years, and I got it back up and running, it would backfire like crazy when you put any kind of load on the engine. Otherwise, it seemed to rev and run fine. My problem was related to the opti innards being in bad shape, rust etc. Before my car went into storage, the water pump had been leaking a bit onto the opti.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Burnt valve. Do a compression check on that cylinder.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BTC
Does it only backfire under load, or all the time? I know after my car sat for several years, and I got it back up and running, it would backfire like crazy when you put any kind of load on the engine. Otherwise, it seemed to rev and run fine. My problem was related to the opti innards being in bad shape, rust etc. Before my car went into storage, the water pump had been leaking a bit onto the opti.
it typically will backfire through the intake at idle, and under load through the exhaust

Quick Reply: 1994 formula firebird backfiring like a mofo