Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

On 3 76MM turbo on a stock 4.8L... Needs "Great" advise....

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default On 3 76MM turbo on a stock 4.8L... Needs "Great" advise....

I just read in my "how to turbocharge" book that swapping truck intake manifolds for a LS6 intake manifold (which I really wanted to do) is not necessary at all in order to turbocharge your engine to get good results. It has something to do with turbos not requiring a whole lot more air intake for turbos.... (I can quote what the book says exactly if someone needs me to.) It stated that the stock truck intakes will work just fine for a 60MM turbo... However, I will more than likely be running the on 3 76MM turbo....

Did the author state this just because of the 60MM turbo or would it make a difference between what he said about the intake manifolds, with a 76MM turbo????

With that being said, I recently purchased a 92MM cable TB that I wanted to use.. I am pretty sure I can use this with a stock TBSS 90MM intake... Also with that in consideration, the 4.8L I have is a DBW... I do NOT wish to use a special pedal or special computer on my setup.. I really would like to use the simpler cable throttle body if possible......

I REALLY need some help on this one guys, as I am finalizing my thoughts to make my purchases to get things moving for my setup..

(I am going to run a 4.8L in my 70 Chevelle, with a TH400, with 273 gears with one 76MM turbo, with intercooler. I also was thinking about 243/799 heads, LS6 springs, LS6 cam, LS6 oil and waterpump and 48# injectors. I have the stock harness, ecu and all the stock accessories that came with the motor... (except starter))

I need all the help I can get on this guys... I have been a diesel mechanic since 1998, but all this stuff still new to me.. I am very mechanically inclined but still a noob with GM performance... (if that makes sense..)
Old 07-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...g_bang_theory/

Start there... You're thinking too hard.

Think about it this way: You dont need ANY of the parts you've talked about to make a working reliable setup that will produce the power you're looking for.

What parts do want is the real question? LS6 intake looks better than the truck intake, and will add some power, but is not needed at all. The same goes with the rest of your proposed setup.

The only real needs might be valve springs, injectors(definitely needed), and the cam if you want... The rest is simply getting in the way of you getting your project running. Get the project running, change what you want after that, the basic project is going to be a big enough headache without worrying about all this extra stuff.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The truck intake flows about the same as the LS6, but with longer runners it peaks a little earlier. If you can get the TBSS intake for cheap, thats fine. Leave the stock heads. I'd go with at least 60# injectors, if not 80#ers.

Quick Reply: On 3 76MM turbo on a stock 4.8L... Needs "Great" advise....