Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?? for VVT users; is factory oil pressure sensor needed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ?? for VVT users; is factory oil pressure sensor needed?

All--
I am days away from trying to fire up my cutlass, and I just read RJComins build that I need the factory oil pressure sensor to allow the computer to regulate the VVT.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...hevelle-5.html
This seems to make sense, but I'd like a confirmation if anyone has more knowledge.

Assuming I do need it, I don't currently have that connector in my harness and I have already contacted my harness guy to get that connector and pin info so I can add that. But my question is do I need this sensor to even be able to fire up the engine? If it will run w/o it, but I just won't get the benefit of the VVT, I can maintain my schedule and get the car running. Then once I get the connector and add it in, I'll drive the car to my tuner. But I'd like to proceed with starting and verifying basic system operation if that is possible w/o damaging anything. I'm hoping it will at least idle w/o it. Anybody know?

THX!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey got your email. I'm not sure what to say to be honest. Mine is running and the engine is fine without having that sensor report to the computer. I just have it for my gauge. At first I had a CEL because of zero oil pressure being read but I had that turned off in the tune... My PSIconversion harness that I ordered for a VVT motor didn't come with any provisions for having an oil pressure sensor in the harness.

I'm interested to hear what others say about this as well.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Seems like there were some people who would know that posted in this thread, maybe they will chime in.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...vt-delete.html
Old 07-04-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well this article in your link suggests that w/o oil pressure the cam is at full advance, and the PCM controls the VVT thru the electro magnet on front of cover
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...all/index.html
"The bolt that holds the phaser to the cam is actually a valve, which feeds a number of holes in the phaser. Pulse width modulation controls how much oil pressure is fed into the phaser, which in turn makes the cam timing retard. When there is no pressure it is locked to full advance."

and another caption:
"The bolt, that as previously mentioned is actually a valve, is controlled by an electromagnet. GM technically calls it a "Camshaft Positioning Actuator Magnet." The back of the electromagnet and connector can be seen when looking at the timing cover externally. On the inside of the timing chain cover is a small pin that is controlled by the electromagnet, which has a range of motion of approximately .250-inch. This pin is what physically pushes on the cam phaser valve/bolt to control the oil pressure being fed in and out of the phaser. The electromagnet is controlled by the PCM."

So definitely looks like we want the PCM to control the VVT thru oil pressure. So if I can get the connector I'll add it back to the system.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am keeping the oil pressure signal to my E38 PCM with VVT. Looking for another source for the oil pressure pickup for the guage in the car. Maybe down by the oil filter?
Old 07-04-2012, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By personal experience a LY6 will start/run/drive without the OP input.

I put ~100 miles on mine until I got a new OP sender to replace the defective one on the j/y motor. Light cruise was better than the with the stock VVT settings working.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 71403
By personal experience a LY6 will start/run/drive without the OP input.

I put ~100 miles on mine until I got a new OP sender to replace the defective one on the j/y motor. Light cruise was better than the with the stock VVT settings working.
Good to know; I'm pressing on to get mine running while I get the correct connector.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let us know what you find out for pin numbers to wire in the sensor to the ECM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO
Let us know what you find out for pin numbers to wire in the sensor to the ECM.
http://www.lt1swap.com/E38%20ECM%20C...%20Pinouts.htm

Looks like its PIN # 34 for the low reference pin 1 on the oil pressure sensor, and PIN 41 for the 5V reference pin 2 from the oil pressure sensor.

Quick Reply: ?? for VVT users; is factory oil pressure sensor needed?