Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kooks or stainless works for 68 camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kooks or stainless works for 68 camaro?

Stainless Works CALS1SB and the kooks are within $25 of each other.. 850 range..

i have transdapt plates-- holley retrofit pan- unisteer rack--

the pics of the kooks have nice ground clearance -- how are the stainless works?

any other options.. its gonna be low so ground clearance is primary after clearing steering..
Old 07-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Default +1 for kooks

'69 camaro with dirty dingo sliders, 302 stands with 350 short/wide mounts. I have the Mast lsx pan.

I wanted the engine as low as possible. I started with the standard 350 engine stands and the engine was 1.5 inches above the cross member. Switched to the 302 engine stands, massaged the mounts a little and dropped a full inch.

These pics are bad but they are all I have. The headers fit easily in both configs and could be adjusted forward or aft with the dirty dingos and had NO clearance issues with the steering box (DSE). I was as close as a 1/4 inch from the firewall at one point and now I'm 3/4 and inch with once again zero issue with fitment.

I paid about 810.00 after searching for a while and have no regrets. Would recommend them over and over again, that is unless you want fitment issues, and 1 3/4 primaries with the Stainless Works (I think they fix the fitment issues).

Just my 2 cents...good luck!

Old 07-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

wow 810 is cheap-- best i have found is 855 shipped
Old 07-04-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went with Stainless Works as the time they were on sale for under $800 shipped. Check out my post #97 in my build thread for details, https://ls1tech.com/forums/16125963-post97.html

If you go this route check the clearance between the header and the block. On the rear of the driver side of the block I had to file down a tab that was lightly contacting the header. No biggie, but it would have been much easier to do if I have noticed it before I put the engine in.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 65 Impala, but I used Dynatech headers for a '67-'69 Camaro (LS swap headers). $400 through Summit...but it looks like the price is up in the $500 range now. Comes with bolts, gaskets, reducers, o2 bungs and bung plugs. Ceramic coated too.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kooks over SW. I bought the SW headers and they were defective and did not fit. I contacted SW and they wanted $3k for a set of custom headers after trying to help them with their clearance problems. Check and you will see lots guys denting tubes to make them fit depending on the mounts. When I took the SW headers off and found a hole in the flange weld. I then contacted Kooks and they were willing to bend over backwards to get me a set to make them work. They even offered to send a set unwelded to let me tack them and send them back to finish them up. I ended up with a set of TBSS headers with no complaints. This was over 3 years ago. SW say they are a different company now but I still have not seen it. Also if you look at the bends, flange welds, etc the difference is night and day.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ality-fit.html

Last edited by 69 Ghost; 07-04-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

whats the ground clearance like on the dynatechs?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Dynatech headers hang way too low. I have a set in my 69 camaro with ATS plates and I'm looking at either Kooks or SW. I wish I never would've went with the Dynatechs...
Old 07-04-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by martZ
Dynatech headers hang way too low. I have a set in my 69 camaro with ATS plates and I'm looking at either Kooks or SW. I wish I never would've went with the Dynatechs...
Hmmm, I was thinking of also using the 1st Gen Camaro Dynatech headers but uncoated incase I had to make a modification or two. Will be going in a 1965 Buick Skylark with an L92/6L80 combination. Also thinking of using the Dirty Dingo motor mount adaptors.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

i wont even consider uncoated headers anymore-- the money you save isnt worth it as in a few years you will need to replace them.

stainless or ceramic coated.. not worried about the heat so prefer stainless-- they look nice for a long time

looking like its kooks...
Old 07-05-2012, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cartel
i wont even consider uncoated headers anymore-- the money you save isnt worth it as in a few years you will need to replace them.

stainless or ceramic coated.. not worried about the heat so prefer stainless-- they look nice for a long time

looking like its kooks...
Whatever brand you go with stainless.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:58 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
Kooks over SW. I bought the SW headers and they were defective and did not fit. I contacted SW and they wanted $3k for a set of custom headers after trying to help them with their clearance problems. Check and you will see lots guys denting tubes to make them fit depending on the mounts. When I took the SW headers off and found a hole in the flange weld. I then contacted Kooks and they were willing to bend over backwards to get me a set to make them work. They even offered to send a set unwelded to let me tack them and send them back to finish them up. I ended up with a set of TBSS headers with no complaints. This was over 3 years ago. SW say they are a different company now but I still have not seen it. Also if you look at the bends, flange welds, etc the difference is night and day.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ality-fit.html

What you must keep in mind is that we build an "off the shelf" product for a very custom application. Every post you make mentions that we were unwilling to change our manufactured header design to match your completely custom car. When it comes to swap headers, there are so many variables that adjusting our manufactured headers to fit one individual's car is often not a possibility.

First and foremost, I apologize that the headers did not fit your specific car with its own specific set of variables. When you are doing swaps like this, all these variables add up (engine stands, engine mounts, oil pan, different transmissions, different clutch setups...) and sometimes one part of the puzzle won't fit. Often times, that means the headers won't fit around the steering box because the engine is higher/lower or forward/back from the spot the headers were designed for. (BTW those Dirty Dingo Sliders take care of almost all of these problems)

Recently (within the last 6 months) we adjusted two primaries on the CALS1SB headers (LS swap with stock steering box) so that they would give more space around the steering box than they had in the past. This has greatly improved fit on all cars as the tolerances for where the motor can be located have been increased.

.................................................. ..............

If you are deciding on headers for a 1st gen Camaro LS swap, please give us a call. Without calling in, you can't speak to a rep who can figure out if the headers will fit. We know our product but we don't know your car. We need to know what stands, what motor mounts, and what subframe you are using and then we can determine what headers to choose and if they will work.

.................................................. ..............

Last edited by StainlessWorks; 07-06-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

the stainless works headers look well made in the pic.. on the other post here

i know there are a ton of combinations but all im looking for is

"this mount" with "this frame mount" with these headers on stock subframe fits this car. i dont have whatever tall/narrow are to compare to what came with this car.. id rather just buy what works.

so any installed side pics of the SW headers?
Old 07-05-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"wont even consider uncoated headers anymore-- the money you save isnt worth it as in a few years you will need to replace them"

For me the plan was to buy 1 7/8" headers uncoated. This way it would be easier to make any changes to the routing of a primary pipe. Once everything was in place with plenty of clearance the headers would be sent out to be coated inside and out with a ceramic thermal barrier coating.

I would love to buy Stainless Works headers if I knew I would not have to modify them. I assume they make 1 7/8" headers for LSX GM A-Body swaps. In this case a 1965 Buick Skylark.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

i just asked for a friend for a 65 chevelle from SWorks-- and they do NOT make a header for A body for that.. ..i will have to look into that after camaro is done ..
Old 07-05-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StainlessWorks
...Recently (within the last 6 months) we adjusted two primaries on the CALS1SB headers (LS swap with stock steering box) so that they would give more space around the steering box than they had in the past. This has greatly improved fit on all cars as the tolerances for where the motor can be located have been increased...
I have one of the new sets of headers and they fit as I would expect them to and SW's customer service was exceptional to say the least.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Launching!

I have the older version of SW (they re-routed the tubes by the steering box but the rest is most likely the same) on my car with S&P plates. My car sits pretty low and the scrape slightly when going over speedbumps etc. I'm pretty happy with them. I don't think you can go wrong with SW or Kooks.

More pics: http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...20head%20swap/
Old 07-06-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Stainless Works...FTW....I have used three sets with no problems.......they are very well made, the welds are superior......

T,

Quick Reply: kooks or stainless works for 68 camaro?