Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 camaro carbed LQ4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 camaro carbed LQ4 swap

Hello yall. figured id introduce myself since im new on here. I am located in Traverse city mi and im doing a LQ4 swap into my 79 camaro. Ill post pics soon as well. Im still in the proccess of building the motor and finishing the body work and paint...
the engine is a 2004 LQ4 with 82k miles on it out of a 04 chevy 2500 4x4. I pulled it out of the truck and got to work makin it new again! I stripped it down and measured all the clearences needed. Every thing was in spec. but it was pretty sludgy so i opted to tear it down completely and make her new. The block is at the machine shop getting deglazed, new cam bearings and a wash in the hot tank! Ive got new clevite P bearings to go back in for every thing. I ordered arp rod bolts and new speed pro moly rings stock size. I checked the rods big end after tourquing the new arps to spec. every one was exacty round and within spec, For those who think cracked cap rods have to be resized when switching rod bolts mine did not need anything! This engine came with the LS2 style coated pistons with the floating piston pin so i opted to keep the stock pistons and rods. I have a comp cams 54-444-11 cam it ihas the xer lobes so should be decent. i aso have a set of reconditiond 243 heads to go on with new pac 1218 springs. they are 65cc so it will put me into the 10:4.1 area for compression. im going to be using a th350 tranny with a 3000 stalh convertor. with my 3.73 gears i should be doing pretty decent at the track. Im using the edelbrock 7118 performer rpm intake with the msd 6ls controller and a 4150 750 vaccum secondary carb. Im hoping to be around the 400 rwhp mark if im not then ill just add a little giggle gas. Im hoping to dip into the 11s in the 1/4 but well see how good i can tune this suspension.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Default Pics of my progress

2004 6.0 Block back from getting deglazd and new cam bearings and hot tanked. getting its first coat of paint. (will be painting it black)

http://s725.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=100_5814.jpg
cleaned and measured crank. it is 100% within spec. ready to go back in.

new arps installed and tourqued to 40ftlbs then checked for round and spec for bearings.(all 8 were still exactly the same round and size as with stock rods) i did clean and install new small end bushings and clean the pistons as well. i believe the key to getting away with arps and not resizing is proper cleanliness of the two surfaces and proper tourqueing.

all the rods and pistons back together and lubed ready to go back in the 6.0 block.

some goodies for the camaro

more goodies

nother pic of piston rod combo

my fresh 243 casting 5.7 heads with the new pac 1218s installed!

now im just waiting on the texas speed stuff(bearings, gaskets, seals and arp head studs, melling HP oil pump and soon as that stuff gets hear ill be ready to button her up and get her to work..... I cant wait to hear her come to life for the first time!
Old 07-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

When i got my block back from the machine shop i had a tight(too tight like .001") fitting # 4 CAM BEARING for my new comp cams cam. I used my old cam and hacksawed a few diagnal slots in the last jurnal of the old cam. o cleaned it up and stabbed it in and when it was on the tight bearing i spun it in there for a minute and pulld her out to check the clearence. after a couple times of this i had the right clearence spot on with the others. Worked out well! now all 5 cam bearings have .003" clearance. Just an old trick for yall out there that dont have a bearing scraper but still have your old cam.

Quick Reply: 1979 camaro carbed LQ4 swap