Sponsored by:

87 Buick Estate Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Buick Estate Wagon

Hello guys,

I have a 87 Buick Estate Wagon. I took out the engine and now I need some info what to do.
Which engines will fit in this car? It has the TH200 transmission, do I have to replace it also? If yes, which transmission do I need?

Is it possible to fit the 8.1liters in it?

Please let me know!

John from Holland, a city in Amsterdam
Old 07-04-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jw usa
Hello guys,

I have a 87 Buick Estate Wagon. I took out the engine and now I need some info what to do.
Which engines will fit in this car? It has the TH200 transmission, do I have to replace it also? If yes, which transmission do I need?

Is it possible to fit the 8.1liters in it?

Please let me know!

John from Holland, a city in Amsterdam
Anything you want! A welder is your best friend. If you're on a budget, go with whatever is common and cheapest around you. an 8.1 would be a freakin tank, I'd go with something aluminum or small block with boost if possible.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easiest would be a lt1. If you have some more cash go 4.8 or 5.3 with a turbo.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Whatever you do, we need pictures. Wagons are my favorite swaps.

Assuming this car is a A/B/G-body, any GM V8 should fit. I'd recommend a 5.3 turbo for a budget-based swap with lots of power. The 8.1 isn't a very popular choice due to weight and size.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

His car originally came with the 307 olds v8, not a 305 or 350 SBC like many of you are thinking about. Still should be simple enough to swap anything in there. Lots of room under that big hood for a turbo setup as well.

Really I'd go for whatever has the best source of parts in Holland.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AronZ28
His car originally came with the 307 olds v8, not a 305 or 350 SBC like many of you are thinking about. Still should be simple enough to swap anything in there. Lots of room under that big hood for a turbo setup as well.

Really I'd go for whatever has the best source of parts in Holland.
The front frame is still going to be a g body so the swap will be simple. It's just a matter of changing the frame mounts. He will have to order parts from the states anyway, so just get some frame mounts with one of the orders and use a 5.3, if money permits.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buick Estate Wagon is a B-Body, almost the same frame as the 77-96 impala. With a 94-96 caprice/impala donor car, a LT1 would be the easiest, just transfer everything over, engine, trans, fuel tank, PCM etc. But LT1's are expensive compared the LSx. Good low mileage LT1's are hard to find, LSx engines are cheap, plentiful and good parts are easier/cheaper to obtain.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the info, pics will be posted soon.

Maybe the LSx will be a good possiblity.
I have to buy in the USA but that's no problem. I can ship from anywhere.

Where is the best place to buy? And if it becomes the 5.3 LSx, which transmission do I need or will the TH200 fit?

Old 07-05-2012, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

The TH200 will fit, but you'll need an adapter plate. Its a weak tranny in stock form, so it will blow up unless you have it beefed up. I doubt there is anybody in Holland that knows how to do that type of work, but there are guys in the states that have built them to withstand some serious abuse in turbocharged Buick drag cars.

What I'd do is buy the engine/trans all together and swap it in as a unit. A lot less headache that way, because the LS series motors all use electronically controlled transmissions, the old 200R4 like you have would require custom making a tv cable, reprogramming the ecm, adapters, and a high performance rebuild.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Teching In

So the LSx swap will be the best price/quallity? Wich transmission and engine would be the best for this and who sells?

You really help me guys!

Quick Reply: 87 Buick Estate Wagon