Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any FI guys use a Knock Sensor Gauge like the GN guys?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Any FI guys use a Knock Sensor Gauge like the GN guys?

So I was at a car show yesterday and one of the Grand Nationals had a nifty little gauge that shows knock as it happens. Lights up a series of lights I'm guessing depending on the level of knock detected. Anyone have a similar setup? It would be nice to have a gauge show knock instead of busting out the macbook and hptuners.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering getting this one:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Knock-gauge-..._Parts&vxp=mtr

This one has an output signal ( 0-5v dc, switch to ground, or switch to 12v dc)
On other forums those that bought it really liked it, but like ALL forums, there are those that say it's a waste of money. Your call.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:05 PM
10 Second Club

The aeroforce interceptor gauge is another option out there. I have been using one for a few years now.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:07 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
The aeroforce interceptor gauge is another option out there. I have been using one for a few years now.
does the aeroforce also read trans temp over obdII? Does it light up or do anything to indicate knock is it just a digital read out? I'd like something to flash and not have to watch it.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:25 PM
9 Second Club

Reading up on the Aeroforce gauge and it seems like it's the ticket. i don't like my autometer trans temp gauge as I think it's faulty(moves only when I tap it). The Aeroforce looks like it can be set to display both Knock and Trans Temp over OBDII while allowing me to set the lights to go off when knock occurs. Very slick little gauge. I've always been impressed with it and have more and more reasons to just get it. The only downside I can see is my obdII port will be plugged, but otherwise who cares.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Those knock gauges blow on GN's - they are to slow to prevent any damage. The data comes from the ALDL port which is a few frames behind what is actually happening. Also people thought the it was ok for them to get a few lights on the knock gauge - which is bad news on a buick, you want 0 knock period.

There were audible knock detectors that wired inline to with ESC that worked well. They sound like an alarm going off and got your attention to get off the pedal.

The aeroforce will work good for you - and you can change the display depending on what you want to monitor
Old 07-05-2012, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nocooler
Those knock gauges blow on GN's - they are to slow to prevent any damage. The data comes from the ALDL port which is a few frames behind what is actually happening. Also people thought the it was ok for them to get a few lights on the knock gauge - which is bad news on a buick, you want 0 knock period.

There were audible knock detectors that wired inline to with ESC that worked well. They sound like an alarm going off and got your attention to get off the pedal.

The aeroforce will work good for you - and you can change the display depending on what you want to monitor
Don't have any of these. Using a Scanmaster which does very well at monitoring knock. I would get one of these. They provide a ton of information as well as KR.

Nix
Old 07-05-2012, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ZNix
Don't have any of these. Using a Scanmaster which does very well at monitoring knock. I would get one of these. They provide a ton of information as well as KR.

Nix
Scanmaster is great if you have the fast update stream in the chip.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:48 AM
9 Second Club

Seems like the reason you would need a knock guage is more directed toward the GN ecu's. They can't be tuned as easily as ours can, therefore the tune is a constant and the engine is the variable. With the LS stuff it's so easy to tune a safe knock free tune there sould be no reason to monitor aside from data logging on occasion. The LS engines do not get as much false knock as the old 3.8's, so it shouldn't be that prevelent anyhow.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would never want knock period and the run the timing up till it knocks and back it off one is so widely thrown around as being the "ok" thing to do. Tuning by reading plugs and knowing what to look for will tell you to back something off before knock ever rears it ugly head.

That is a nifty gauge though.

Quick Reply: Any FI guys use a Knock Sensor Gauge like the GN guys?