LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please.

I have a starting problem with my 94Z. New motor just installed with all new sensors and all. Problem is it, wines about 5-7 seconds before it will crank for the initial time. Once running I can shut it off and start it right back up with no problem. However if it sits for more than a minute or so you have to start over again. I put a spark tester on it and found no spark for the first 5-7 secs, then once spark appears it will fire and crank. What could this be? Before anyone blames the opiti, please note I had a AC delco options on the stock motor 2 years ago and it has done this every since then.. now I have a brand new MSD and still having the same issues.. Hopefully someone can help out.. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

OK just an update.. I bypassed the MSD 6al to run the stock ignition. Upon doing so it will fire the first sec you turn the key but not enough to crank the car. After it spits the first time it still takes it 5 secs or so to crank.. Any ideas?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You need to provide a full list of mods. We don't know what's OEM, what's aftermarket, what you've modified, etc.

And your statement "it will fire the first sec you turn the key but not enough to crank the car" doesn't make any sense. The term "crank" is commonly misused - "cranking" means the starter is turning the engine, that's it. Clarify what you've got going on.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
You need to provide a full list of mods. We don't know what's OEM, what's aftermarket, what you've modified, etc.

And your statement "it will fire the first sec you turn the key but not enough to crank the car" doesn't make any sense. The term "crank" is commonly misused - "cranking" means the starter is turning the engine, that's it. Clarify what you've got going on.
Mods consist of

388 LTX Block
Callies billet splayed 4bolt caps
4340 Eagle 3.75 crank
6" Eagle Forged H beams
Canton 7qt pan
Custom Cam 242/246 on a 110lsa
AFR 210 Heads
CSR EWP
LT4 Intake
42lbs injectors
58mm Tb
MSD 6AL
TH350
Full bolt on car

What Meant by cranking is the starter spins with no fire then will all of a sudden fire and run after a 5-7 sec. revolution of starting. When the 6al box is disconnected it will turnover with fire for a brief second then with continue to spin for 5 secs or son until it will start to run. Hopefully this helps and sorry I didn't describe the issue into further detail
Old 07-05-2012, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Ever check your fuel pressure? See if it holds it.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Yes, Fuel is good at about 44lbs.

I just got this thing together and almost ready to cut my loss and sell..lol LS maybe???