Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin Turbo Cooling Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbo Cooling Issues

I have been at this for some time now. I could use some help. I have a 383 sbc with twin 70mm turbos AFR heads and Victor Jr. intake. I have an overheating issue when at idle. If I am moving at all it stays at 200, which I can live with, but if I get stuck in any kind of traffic it wont last.

On the cooling side of things this is what I am working with. I have an FSR triple pass aluminum radiator(31x18), 2 derale 16925 12 inch pusher fans, and a stage 1 Stewart components water pump that is 5 percent overdriven. I am not runnig a thermostat because FSR and Griffin told me with a triple pass radiator not to run any restrictor. I am running a water to air intercooler which I have everything infront of the radiator.

I have tried running a 160 thermostat and a 180. I have tried an electic water pump as well. The only time the car cools really well is going down the highway at 55-70mph. Even at that the coolest I have ever seen the car get after warming up is 170.

The only thing I can think of at this point is that my heat exchanger and intercooler, being in front of the radiator, is heat soaking my radiator. The fans suck air right off the intercooler and the air coming through the grill has to go through the heat exchanger and then go by my intercooler before getting to my radiator.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by 1_Bad_82ttCamaro; 07-06-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo Cooling Issues