Manual Transmission - Best Clutch

View Full Version : Best Clutch

ballistikball
07-06-2012, 04:37 PM
I would like to know the best clutch assembly for a 02 TA WS6. It is stock for now. I would like to maintain a stock feeling clutch. Thanks.

hawk584
07-06-2012, 07:15 PM
RAM Clutches are good from what i've heard.

Guitar
07-06-2012, 07:48 PM
I'd go with a Monster clutch myself.

Jadedbird
07-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Not a fan of my monster. Nice feel but chattery as fuck. 10k miles and still chatters unless I beat the shit out of it. I would go with a spec 2 for bolt on/stock power and a spec 3 for FI/Heads and cam cars

therealcreeper
07-07-2012, 09:10 AM
if it's a stock car and you want a stock feel just go with an oem ls6 clutch

cbr600rx7
07-07-2012, 11:29 AM
You could upgrade to a LS7 clutch that will give you all the holding power you could need or a spec stage 2 will give you a near stock feel with way more holding ability.

Fry_
07-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Monster level 1 zero chatter, my wife DD's our T/A spring through fall, zero complaints. I'd consider a level 2 if you plan to drag race very much from what I hear it has a almost stock feel and very minimal chatter

Not a fan of my monster. Nice feel but chattery as fuck. 10k miles and still chatters unless I beat the shit out of it. I would go with a spec 2 for bolt on/stock power and a spec 3 for FI/Heads and cam cars

What level of monster clutch do you have? I have a friend with a level 3 he's never complained about it but he doesn't drive it much either.

Jadedbird
07-08-2012, 12:10 PM
I have a 3. With bolt on power. Billet steel flywheel. Sucks ass. Chatters of I'm in too high of a gear going up hill. Stock didn't do that. It even squeals If I don't get the RPMs up enough on take off

great421
07-19-2012, 12:46 AM
FYI -

My brother uses an LS7 clutch on his 04 Goat - he is very pleased.

Drives just like stock, just with more holding power.

wicked z28
07-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Spec 2+

Exidous
07-23-2012, 04:06 AM
I have a 3. With bolt on power. Billet steel flywheel. Sucks ass. Chatters of I'm in too high of a gear going up hill. Stock didn't do that. It even squeals If I don't get the RPMs up enough on take off

Try beating on the clutch. HARD. Seriously. The stage three (monster) can glaze over if you don't beat on it once and a while. The glaze will cause it to squeal.

You really do need to beat the piss out of it to keep it driving well. I have brake pads that are like this. It's contradictory to logic but it's true.

TheBlueKnight
07-23-2012, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't recommend a stock LS1, LS6, or LS7 clutch. I just see too many people with high rpm shifting problems from that darn self adjusting pressure plate they have.

Qouted from Monster Clutches web page about the LS7 clutch...

"It “self adjusts” and adds comfort to driving your car which loosely translates to; the pedal goes limp when you power shift or the unit just outright fails!"

baalic
07-23-2012, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't recommend a stock LS1, LS6, or LS7 clutch. I just see too many people with high rpm shifting problems from that darn self adjusting pressure plate they have.

Qouted from Monster Clutches web page about the LS7 clutch...

"It “self adjusts” and adds comfort to driving your car which loosely translates to; the pedal goes limp when you power shift or the unit just outright fails!"

So then you would recomend a Spec? or a Monster as a replacement over the LS7, because again, like my response in another thread, I was thinking of LS7 with Tick master for an upgraded clutch that lets me shift at 6k without locking me out?

TheBlueKnight
07-23-2012, 02:18 PM
I don't know much about spec clutches, Monster has a good reputation though.

BOBS99SS
07-23-2012, 02:25 PM
I would go with a stage1 monster over the ls7, monster has some pretty cool deals, also if you get it from the ws6 store its free shipping, i just got a spec through them,

BOBS99SS
07-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Baalic,i think you would be better with a monster,there stage 1 is to kinda compete against the ls7, but if your going to be launching hard etc put the money out for a higher rated clutch, i would have got a monster but you have to buy there flywheel with there package ,i already had a lightweight one from my textralia so i didnt need another flywheel,spec isnt bad,i dont mind them at all,some say there to touchy.but good idea on the tick master,the best upgrade you can make to a m6 car besides a rear

TheBlueKnight
07-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Didn't notice that. Tick Performance sells the Monster clutches for the same price as the WS6 store but charges $50 for shipping. Wonder if Tick would price match or not?

Anthony887
07-23-2012, 05:45 PM
I had a SPEC stg 2+ no chatter felt real nice

LMPerformance.com has good prices and free shipping

aus ss ute
07-23-2012, 06:59 PM
I've had a Monster Stg 2 in for about 2 months now, very happy with it. Pedal is only slightly heavier than stock, never slips under hard driving and only slight shudder if you try and engage slowly at really low rpm. I live in inner city and have to deal with traffic and carparks etc every day, got used to it quickly and am very happy I chose it over a ls7. Well priced as a package too, i got slave, spigot bearing, billet flywheel, ext bleeder and braided line.

HoLLo
07-23-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm running a Monster Stage 2, with over a year and a half of daily driving and a lot of wide open runs. It drives just the way it did when I first took it for a drive after the install. Chatter free with some GRAB! I installed a Monster Stage 3 in a buddy's GTO a few months back, and I was VERY impressed with it's street manners, even first drive after the install.

badazz81z28
07-23-2012, 10:25 PM
I would go with the stock LS6 clutch. Very affordable and stock feeling obviously. SummitRacing has the Fly/press/clutch combo for cheap!

If you have upgrades planned for the future, I would spend a $100 or so more and go LS7 or another $150 and go Monster.

FBGSU02
07-24-2012, 09:30 AM
I have a Texas Diamond Stage 2 and it is great. I had to get used to the stock clutch feel again after having a spec stage 3. car is so much easier to drive and my wife loves it also.

SPEC-01
07-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Our Stage 2 and 2+ kits offer great drivability and increased capacity too. Take alook at the link below and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/2000/Single

baalic
07-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Our Stage 2 and 2+ kits offer great drivability and increased capacity too. Take alook at the link below and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/2000/Single

How do they feel compared to stock?

SPEC-01
07-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Effort is within 10% of the stock unit but engagement is going to be more positive, less vague, and better in terms of feel and progressiveness. The stock plates are SAC (self-adjusting) and these are known to have an artificial feel and inconsistent engagement. Let me know if you need anything else and I will be happy to help! Thanks,

alans02z
07-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Ive had a spec 2 in my car with heads and cam with the aluminum flywheel. It felt great. When I put the 408 in I put a 3 and put a new friction surface on it. Love it. Peddle is effortless. The squeel is like what others have said. Its just glazed. A hard run on it and its fine.

SNLPerformance
07-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Jadedbird - I've responded to your complaints in another thread, give me a call and we'll go over your issue. :)

To the OP, it really depends on what your future mods will be, we can surely get you into a Monster that will easily support your needs and drive like a stock unit - and not go limp or slip like the OEM LS6/7 clutches.

Give us a call and we'll get you taken care of.

LFSADRG
07-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Monster 4 with Tick master and no issues at all.