LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A/C issue 95 trans am

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C issue 95 trans am

Hey guys. Went to drive my trans am for the first time since its been hot, ac didn't work. Thru a pressure gauge on low side it had pressure as it should. The compressor is not kicking on. So today I swapped relays and checked the fuse all are good. So I unplugged the plug at the compressor(pita). Turned ac on and checked voltage at the plug and there was nothing there. Then I had a extra plug from a junkyard compressor for my cavy. Wired up some extensions on it to put 12 volts to green and ground to black. Once I connected it, it sparked like I was shorting 12v to ground and burnt a hole in my finger. Shouldn't the compressor run with 12v connected? And shouldn't there be voltage from the plug attached to the car?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Update to this highly popular thread. The old plug I used diode was dead which caused the short. But my compressor still doesn't work verified with a old leaky cavy conpressor the car engages the clutch on tha one and when I rehook to the one in the car it doesn't work. So it's either the clutch or the clutch coil
Old 07-07-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a scanner that shows live data see if the a/c clutch is enabled. When I was working on mine I found that if the pressure was too low it would disable the a/c clutch. If you can't look with a scanner disconnect the battery for a little bit then hook it back up and see if the clutch comes on. Then you could check the pressures.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

^ yup, pressure may be slightly to low. I had this happen. Not sure why its kicking the cavy compressor on though if its getting the same pressure reading from the cars system?

a/c problems suck. It may have a small leak and finally got to the point where its a couple psi short to kick it on.

All the fuses are good in the car?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a low pressure sensor near the low pressure side. If the plug to it is disconnected the compressor won't work. If the system pressure is too low the sensor will cut power to the compressor so it doesn't get damaged. If there is nothing wrong with the sensor, and the compressor won't work with the system charged, then you have a compressor clutch or clutch solenoid problem. You can either change the clutch and solenoid (this requires special compressor tools) or you can buy a new compressor.

I would buy a new compressor and avoid the hassle. Spectra sells new compressors for cheap these days that are better than the original HD6 compressors that had a habit of blowing rear seals.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help guys.
Yeah if the cavy compressor is kicking on mine in the car should considering the cavy compressor is dry as a bone. It's taking the pressure readings from the trans ams. So I'm pretty confident it's either the clutch coil or the clutch it self. What I read is I can rent the clutch tool from az or advanced. I just need to straighten the pin I bent then I can ohm out the coil. Also have read that the clutch could just have to be adjusted in a bit for it to grab.

As for replacing the whole compressor I'd rathe not dig that deep the car is retired for daily driver use and had to replace a compressor and all then vacuum down the system and charge. Just too much hassrl for a car I drive 1-2k a year. I also have a 84z28 I removed the ac on with the engine swap. So I will only do a clutch or a coil on it. It's just a very tight area to work.

Car has 230k on it now the compressor has been a champ that whole time.

Quick Reply: A/C issue 95 trans am