General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car isn't feeling as fast..

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car isn't feeling as fast..

Previous owner said the fuel pump was replaced summer of 2010 and i have the reciepts. I changed the oil/coolant about a month ago and reoiled my k&n. I did get the codes 0171 and 0174. Car hesitates when accelerating at times. I use to walk my friends 2v and the kills aren't as violent now. What all should I check and replace? oh yeah, i also noticed my car doesn't kick down a gear much anymore.. like a 25-35 roll i can floor it and it'll just take its time. Plugs? wires? tune? fuel filter? sensors?

Car has 109k miles, k&n, slp lid, slp maf (previous owner purchased, I've never had a problem with it) cutout, and adjusted shift firmness.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it hesitate when you get on it? How does it feel when you stomp the pedal and slight hesitation? I would either check the MAF and reset it and if that doesn't fix it then you can move onto spark plugs, and check your fuel pressure. That would be the simple route to go..
Old 07-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What are those codes for?

Old 07-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sigma86
Does it hesitate when you get on it? How does it feel when you stomp the pedal and slight hesitation? I would either check the MAF and reset it and if that doesn't fix it then you can move onto spark plugs, and check your fuel pressure. That would be the simple route to go..
Yes it'll hesitate at WOT, light doesn't come on until high rpms btw, normal driving won't trigger it. How do i reset the maf? Ive never checked fuel pressure.. How can i do that. (sorry i'm young and dumb)

Originally Posted by LS6427
What are those codes for?

Running lean.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fuel filter might be a good start. If the pump was replaced but no filter, some **** might have been kicked up in the tank and it's probably sitting in your fuel filter right now.

In fact, even if it was replaced, it still might be worth looking into. If you're running lean at high RPM's, it seems possible that your high fuel flow is getting cut off by something.

BTW, filter costs $13 or so and if your lines aren't rusted up bad it'll take you 30 minutes to replace.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Banned

First thing.....get that piece of total crap K&N filter off the car.....clean the MAF real good, get a paper filter and report back.

Seriously.......The oil on those filters KILLS MAF's and their ability to perform properly especially at WOT........

They should be made illegal in all 50 states....LOL

Old 07-08-2012, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

First thing.....get that piece of total crap K&N filter off the car.....clean the MAF real good, get a paper filter and report back.

Seriously.......The oil on those filters KILLS MAF's and their ability to perform properly especially at WOT........

i pretty much agree with this.

Although i do use k&n, "oiling" or recharging them is about the worse thing you can do to any car using a maf. I had the exact problems the OP posted, and it turned out to be a thick layer of crap accumulated across the sensor. Spray it off with actual MAF CLEANER and you should be good to go, ...unless of course it's something else lol
Old 07-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Launching!

I was having those problems before oiling the filter if I remember correctly, but I'll try it.

Originally Posted by Nemesis350
i pretty much agree with this.

Although i do use k&n, "oiling" or recharging them is about the worse thing you can do to any car using a maf. I had the exact problems the OP posted, and it turned out to be a thick layer of crap accumulated across the sensor. Spray it off with actual MAF CLEANER and you should be good to go, ...unless of course it's something else lol
Autozone should have MAF Cleaner, correct?
Old 07-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Arctic_Z

Autozone should have MAF Cleaner, correct?

Yes....everyone carries it. I think its CRC brand.

Do not touch the little sensor wires with anything except the spray itself. Spray half the can right through the MAF screen and clean the front of all the little sensors. Then of course, hit the back some too.

Then spray the IAT sensor in the air lid. Use whatever might be left to clean the TB blade.

*****and get a paper filter. K&N filters do nothing except contaminate the MAF and it allows more dirt to get through and into the engine, causing more wear on the rings. They are complete fraud garbage...........the first time you run through rain after oiling it and letting it dry...the rain mist reactivates the oil and it goes right onto the MAF. Decreasing the MAFs ability to give you peak performance. This is a FACT......

Leave them to the race cars that rebuild their engines after each race and don;'t care about extra dirt getting into their engines.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:42 AM
Launching!

Very good info^^ Ty. But for some reason I feel weird about putting a paper filter back in the car. I guess it won't hurt to try it
Old 07-08-2012, 03:08 AM
Launching!

I guess I'm going to get a fuel filter, Lucas fuel injector cleaner, maf cleaner, and a wix 46144 air filter. see how that does and I'll most likely be ordering msd wires and ngk55 plugs at .60 gap to change our later this week .. I'll report back!
Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 AM
TECH Resident

With the engine having 109K+ on it. I am surprised that no one mentioned seafoaming yet. That will likely give you a few horses and maybe even some better mpg.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-your-car.html
Old 07-08-2012, 04:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Decadence75
With the engine having 109K+ on it. I am surprised that no one mentioned seafoaming yet. That will likely give you a few horses and maybe even some better mpg.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-your-car.html
lol cue the rant from LS6427...
Old 07-08-2012, 06:37 AM
TECH Junkie

The guy rants over anything, he is an idiot.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Not trying to be a dick but I use a rechargeable filter you guys are right about the oil. You don't need to put a lot of the oil on the filter and it will be fine. The filter does work just don't put a lot of oil.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

You also should check for any vaccum leaks that also will make a engine run lean. Does the exhaust smell funny if the car is running lean idling you can smell it and even worse after you rev it.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Well I drove to work this morning, drove the car like a normal person would. Hesitated a little. After work I got some Lucas injector cleaner and got some gas. Drove home and kinda opened it up a bit didn't seemto hesitate as much.. I have to take about an hour round trip tomorrow to meet with my recruiter so it'll be good for the car ao it can cycle that cleaner. Ordered a wix 46144 air filter and ngk tr55 plugs/msd wires today. Read to gap them .050 - .060, Probably do .055 when they get here. Also going to the parts store tomorrow to get an ac delco fuel filter and an air tube gasket to make the plug change easier, maf cleaner too. Just an update! I'll try my best to search for any leaks.. I hate that everything is a tight fit
Old 07-09-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

My car use to hesitate as well, but after new plugs, wires, a cleaned MAF and a tune it went away.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadBirdie
lol cue the rant from LS6427...
Well I can't speak for him, but I get tired of seeing the same stupidity being propogated around the site.

Quick Reply: Car isn't feeling as fast..