Sponsored by:

Another tap

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Another tap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z3OoGdC7dI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cars been Cammed for about 2 months now. It's tuned. Runs and drives fine. I have had no issues with it. Been driving it everyday since the dyno tune. Last week coming to a red light this tick started. By the time I went to pull over it stoped. Yesterday it did this to me twice. So I pull out the phone and got a video of in car windows down sitting at a redlight. Seems to start coming to redlights and stop after light goes green and I go across the intersection. I've checked all exhaust bolts clamps. Everything's tight. I really hope this isent a lifter but kinda sounds like it.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

Cars been Cammed for about 2 months now. It's tuned. Runs and drives fine. I have had no issues with it. Been driving it everyday since the dyno tune. Last week coming to a red light this tick started. By the time I went to pull over it stoped. Yesterday it did this to me twice. So I pull out the phone and got a video of in car windows down sitting at a redlight. Seems to start coming to redlights and stop after light goes green and I go across the intersection. I've checked all exhaust bolts clamps. Everything's tight. I really hope this isent a lifter but kinda sounds like it.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

whats your oil pressure ?what oil are you using ?maybe do a oil change.check your rockers for missing bearings .
Old 07-08-2012, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

I've tryed different oil. Using castrol right now. Oil pressure is right were it's always been. Almost 40 psi idle and well above it driving down the road I have seen no change in oil pressure. The ses light is in because of a speed sensor. It has no engine codes.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What brand and viscosity oils have you been running?

Since the API reduced the quantities of anti-wear additives (zinc. phosphorous) in motor oils, there seems to have been a spike in engine noise complaints. Especially in engines running bigger cams and more spring pressure, which puts more stress on the non-pressurized-lubricated surfaces like lifter rollers and rocker tips/trunnions. Old flat-tappet engines can't run the current oil spec without wiping cam lobes.

Think about trying an oil w/ more zinc & phosphorous such as Amsoil Z-Rod or Red Line 5W-30. If your engine quiets down, you can try adding ZDDP to cheaper regular oil using additives like ZDDPlus or Red Line Engine Break-In Additive to keep the engine happy.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

I had 5w30 in it. But recently tryed 10w30. I may switch back to 5w30 and try that.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Ok. After much research I went and picked up 5w30 pennzoil platinum oil and a k&n oil filter. Gonna ditch the fram. I always figured a filter was a filter. But apparently the Fram filters don't get much love on here.

So Tomarrow I'm gonna check springs and rockers then if all is good I'm gonna change the oil again and give it a shot.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

That oil has the same reduced zinc/phos anti-wear additives as the other oils so I wouldn't expect too much from it. It's fine for stock engines in most normal usage conditions, but with your extra spring pressure you'll likely find it does not help with the noise.

If you try it and no improvement, try adding RedLine Engine Break-In stuff or ZDDPlus to bring the zinc/phos up to the API SL spec these engines were originally using.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Do they sell this zddplus at any local parts stores or is this something I have to order. I am definitely lookin into this now.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

If you're near Thunder Racing, they carry Comp Cams break-in additive and the GM stuff. Both are reportedly good.

Otherwise check around, it's been a few years since I was in Louisiana (Shreveport) so no idea what you'll find. Unlikely the chain stores will have it, but smaller hot rod shops may have the RedLine stuff.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

About 2 hours from thunderracing. Might just go and order a bottle or 2 from somewhere and get them over here.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

YouTube:<br/><br/>http://youtu.be/JLq5MU06P3k

Gonna bring this back up. I have pulled the heads. Had them rebuilt with a valve job and all new intake valves. New ls7 lifters where installed with ls2 trays. Mls gaskets with head studs where used. I still have this noise. This video was goin down the highway at 70mph. Only thing that makes it stop is stoping the car and letting it idle for about a minute. Then goes away and may not do it again for a few days. This video was taken last Saturday

YouTube:<br/><br/>http://youtu.be/Jw74D02vRyQ

This video was taken Sunday. No noise at all. I really am stumped on where to look next.

Quick Reply: Another tap