General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

power steering fluid leak :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering fluid leak :(

This is on a 2002 ss, I noticed my car has been leaking power steering fluid and I was able to pinpoint the location of the leak. It is basically leaking right out of the back side of the pump right onto the alternator. I plan on taking it off to take a look at it on Tuesday. What do you guys think I will I need to replace? Or should I just go ahead and get a whole new pump?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Its common for the fluid to go bad and boil over out of the tank. Do you think that could be happening to you? The only seal in that area is between the tank and the pump. Its a low pressure seal and doesn't typically leak.

If you are getting boil-overs, a fluid flush may fix your problem and enhanced cooling will help you get more mileage out of the next fluid change.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the HIGH pressure hose They split. You can get a kit from the dealer that has all the seals and parts necessary to repair the stock pump. I rebuild them all the time. But the hoses have a nasty habit of splitting and they only leak under pressure.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Teching In

This happened to me and I didn't realize it until my alternator started making a funny noise, took it off and out poured all the power steering fluid.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

My high pressure hose leaked only when the wheel turned and the car was on. If it sat it would leak very little. The advanced auto by me had one in stock for about $40 and was very simple install just a little messy.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 AM
11 Second Club

Honestly I bet I've replaced all the fluid since this has been going on because it leaks out of the reservoir until it is empty if I don't keep filling it. It doesn't seem to be leaking out of the high pressure hose though, it is coming right out of the back of the pump. I can see it dripping onto my alternator. It will not leak if I just fill it up but it leaks after I turn it on and run it for a little while. I guess my best bet is just to take it off and send it somewhere to be rebuilt. Any suggestions?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yea, sounds like a rebuild is in order.. I recommend TurnOne. If you don't want a performance mod on the pump, they will do a stock rebuild if you ask for it.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Actually rebuilding them is a snap. I can rebuild one wearing boxing gloves in a 1/2 hour. Mostly the high pressure line leaks under pressure. But i have rebuilt many pumps in my shop for leaks!!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

Yup, I would go with a turnone pump as well. I autocross and had my old pump spew fluid (as it should) when hot out the vent cap. The turnone pump runs at a lower pressure so it's a little harder to turn when not moving, but not noticeable at speed (no factory power steering cooler either). The pump runs very well even in July in Texas! No fluid spills to clean up.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Launching!

You can buy relief valves for the stock pump if you believe it is a pressure thing???!!!. They make relief valves in all different configurations. If not shell out bucks for a pump that has a modified valve and spring. I would rather use the money for other things!!!

Quick Reply: power steering fluid leak :(