Sponsored by:

Swap info..please !

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Swap info..please !

I have an 86 Buick Regal...

I will be using a 2000 5.3L truck engine or a 2001 ls1..CARB SET-UP..

A. WHat accessory drive setup will work on this engine in this car without hood mods?

B. What brand of conversion mounts will work the best

C. I do plan on using headers,BUT Is it true that the 2000+ F-body manifolds will work?

D. What flexplate or adapter setup will I use on it to run a th350 trans?

E. Will the truck accessories clear the Steering box and will the 5.3L power steering pump work with the stock steering box?

F. What oil pan setup will work and does it depend on the engine mounts used?

Sorry to be such a pain with this, but I have read so many swap threads and info, and none specifically say what will or won't work.....

Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

Last edited by jaywill; 07-10-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn ! 111 views and no help! C'mom guys ! ANY INFO WILL BE HELPFUL..
Old 07-10-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most people don't have the time to answer a thread that has too many question. we like to have them short and to the point.... not give a complete swap review or instructions.. Also.. since it is related to a specific car.. you have to wait for them to ping in and give input.

I have not working knowledge on 86 Buick Regal

A - Accessory drive should have to much of an issue with the Hood.. but more of issue with the pully, steering box and linkages. Intank is a question of hood clearance. but that all depends on how and where you mount your engine. (standard, setback, foread, high or low).

B - almost anything will work. but it is always suggested or recommened to use headers and adapter plates from the same manufactor, this will lessen any problems of mix and matching.

C - F-Body head would work. with some mior tweeking of tube and collectors.

D - well leave that to someone who has worked with the Th350 .. but either a spacer or a dished Flex plate will be needed.

E - Can't help, have not used truck acc on either of my swaps.

F - would suggest you get a swap built pan (imo Mast or Holley)... or one of the Steel pans. else you will need a lot of work to shorting the Truck pans and loose Oil Capacity.

sorry.. not much help..

BC
Old 07-10-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bczee
most people don't have the time to answer a thread that has too many question. We like to have them short and to the point.... Not give a complete swap review or instructions.. Also.. Since it is related to a specific car.. You have to wait for them to ping in and give input.

I have not working knowledge on 86 buick regal

a - accessory drive should have to much of an issue with the hood.. But more of issue with the pully, steering box and linkages. Intank is a question of hood clearance. But that all depends on how and where you mount your engine. (standard, setback, foread, high or low).

B - almost anything will work. But it is always suggested or recommened to use headers and adapter plates from the same manufactor, this will lessen any problems of mix and matching.

C - f-body head would work. With some mior tweeking of tube and collectors.

D - well leave that to someone who has worked with the th350 .. But either a spacer or a dished flex plate will be needed.

E - can't help, have not used truck acc on either of my swaps.

F - would suggest you get a swap built pan (imo mast or holley)... Or one of the steel pans. Else you will need a lot of work to shorting the truck pans and loose oil capacity.

Sorry.. Not much help..

Bc
thanks a lot :d sorry 4 the long ?'s
Old 07-10-2012, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Howdy , Transdapt 1 in setback plates and stock g-body sbc mounting hardware. Truck fead is good and will clear with those plates. F-body manifolds will work. Headers i have no experience with . Trans , get the factory stuff ..Flexplate/spacer egg the converter bolt holes and go. Or buy the swap flexplate and spacer from summit or a vendor. As bczee said on the pan pick an aftermarket rear sump pan and go or CTS-v (Good clearance1/4-1/2 inch hangs below the x-member) and f-body pan (really tight fit to the crossmember with the 1 in setbacks but dosent hang ) .. I would say ctsv or holley pan. Good luck and have fun .
Old 07-10-2012, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Everyone has done it differently.. I have regular Mount Plates, car accessories..no issues.

Refer to my sig for the build thread on my SS, it'll answer just about all your questions.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Emdmechanic
Howdy , Transdapt 1 in setback plates and stock g-body sbc mounting hardware. Truck fead is good and will clear with those plates. F-body manifolds will work. Headers i have no experience with . Trans , get the factory stuff ..Flexplate/spacer egg the converter bolt holes and go. Or buy the swap flexplate and spacer from summit or a vendor. As bczee said on the pan pick an aftermarket rear sump pan and go or CTS-v (Good clearance1/4-1/2 inch hangs below the x-member) and f-body pan (really tight fit to the crossmember with the 1 in setbacks but dosent hang ) .. I would say ctsv or holley pan. Good luck and have fun .
thanks alot
Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
everyone has done it differently.. I have regular mount plates, car accessories..no issues.

Refer to my sig for the build thread on my ss, it'll answer just about all your questions.
thanks ..very helpful

Quick Reply: Swap info..please !