Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Looking to get into a GTO

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get into a GTO

How do folks, I'm looking to get into a 04-06 GTO and I'm wondering what I need to look out for. What are the big things that need swapping on this car when building a 400+ cube forced induction motor? How do the diffs hold up in these things? Thanks guys. Been around the forum for a while but it's time for a new project to keep my busy.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

If you plan on doing some track times or putting some torque at the rear, replace the stock half-shafts. They are not to strong, mine broke when I get 490 at the rear. You will have fun with it, I try not to beat on my car but I do. Lots of things to replace and make it faster.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Default Problems

There are a good number of issues with the GTO as with any other car out there. So things to change would be the rear half shafts, a one piece drive shaft is a good peace of mind replacement as well. You also want to check if the fuel rail covers are rubbing, or the bcm wiring harness behind the glove box you will find stickies if you search and of the following topics. Other than those issues which do or don't plague any given GTO they like most all LS powered cars are a great bang for the buck.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Teching In

All I can say is that it never gets old getting into this car and taking it for a spin. The best part about it is that it is completely under the radar. Good luck you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys, this is exactly the sort of information I was looking for. I've been around the LS thing for a while, I'm on my second V at the moment so I know the motors pretty well. What you folks are saying about the driveline issues is just the sort of information I was looking for. GTO is going to be a project me and a buddy take on just for kicks. Keep the info coming, and thanks again.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Driveshaft, axles, stubs, diff...all can be a problem when your GTO approaches 500 HP. If you head over to LS2GTO and do a search, you will find a ton of info responsive you your question.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mini-tubs for larger rear tires. Again, LS1GTO.com has the answers.

Quick Reply: Looking to get into a GTO