LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Dex Cool

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dex Cool

Ok, I'm trying to get all the chunks out of my cooling system that I'm sure are probably in there, yeah I know that didn't make any sense.
Anyways, I'm going to run just water for a day and flush it at the end of each, that's the plan at least. Ater that, can I just put the green stuff back in it? The Dex Cool is dirty.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as you flush out all of the Dex Cool, you should be fine running ethylene glycol (green coolant) in it.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

Don't use tap water, distilled only.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Yeah I have a few gallons of distilled to run as a final flush and when i fill. Plan is to just use the hose at first for mass flushing. I dont want the system to function with tap water though.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The chunks from your cooling system are not from the DexCool at all, but from the sealer put in at the factory. GM does this to make sure the cooling system doesn't leak. Over time, the stuff gets chunky and makes your orange DexCool turn brown. This is made worse by the fact that our cooling system is partially exposed to air, as the overflow is not 100% air tight.

Our Impala had nasty looking coolant when we got it. We flushed out it at about 40,000 miles, then flushed it again at about 70,000. When we had to put a waterpump in it at 130,000, the DexCool that came out was still bright orange and clean.

So, it takes a couple of flushes and some miles, but the DexCool is fine over the long haul.

That all said, if you want to run the old style green coolant, you can. But as mentioned above, you need to make sure you get all of the DexCool out, and you will also need to change the coolant more often, as our cooling systems are not designed for it, and I'm told there are corrosion issues over the long haul if run too long in a motor designed for DexCool.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the info. I did engine analysis for a while on diesels and saw some overheat because the leak stop was essentially a little chunk of material and it would not fully dissentigrate and plug cooling passages.

Quick Reply: Dex Cool