Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pining a Eagle crank.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pining a Eagle crank.....

I tried to pin my crank but I ran into a issue..... It is a Forged Eagle crank and the drill bit I have for the kit isn't worth a crap ( barely scratched the surface). I'm looking for a drill bit that can drill this crank. I was thinking either a titanium or carbide tip drill bit.

Opinions or experiences welcome....
Old 07-11-2012, 09:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you using the ATI pin kit, or some other kit? We've used and ATI kit and never had any problems or a need to "upgrade" the bit. I am curious if maybe your drill is too fast (maybe burnt up the tip of the bit that does the cutting), too slow (can't effectively cut), or maybe it just needs some lubricant like WD40 to help the process.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

is it just me or is a pin kit kinda "hack"? i have seen them on a few motors and always thought they were very backyard. I guess i don't like them because i have seen a few cranks that had been pined multiple times in different locations. Also seen an FI motor at my buddies machine shop that had two pins both failed and spun. not bashing just saying. As far as your drill bit goes it sounds like you burnt the tip. you can go have the drill bit sharpened. they use some kinda diamond sharpened. I just had some Time sert bits sharpened cost $35 pr/bit