Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LQ4 turbo motor build HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 turbo motor build HELP!

i saw that there were post talking about turbo's ect. but i didnt find one that answered all my questions for my setup. If theres one out there i appoligize.

I new to this forum so Hi everyone, i own a 1996 chevy camaro with a LT1 i'm pulling the LT1 and swapping with a (i believe) an LQ4. A friend of mine is building this one for me, as i'm complete noob to chevy GM and LS base motors. The block were starting with is a cast iron 6.0L which leads me to believe it is an LQ4^^ at first i started this build with the intention of building an N/A motor. But after much debate i have talked myself into building a greater horsepowered beast. With the N/A i was looking at about 400-500hp but with all m friends pushing 750-1200hp i didnt want to be the runt of the group. I went to LG motorsports and they told me alot i already knew and some i didnt. I know i will need forged rotating assmble i.e. crank, rods, pistions, cam designed for forced induction and a metal carb similiar designed intake manifold with a front facing throttle body, upgraded fuel delivery ID1000cc injectors and a 400lhr fuel pump and a compression of 9.5:1 but i also want this vehicle to be something i can drive on the street, is it possible to produce 800 whp or close on pump to be reliable. i know with more power you take away the reliability and your gas mileage. But i'm being told otherwise, i'm being told 800hp on boost can be achieved and still be a reliable vehicle. This will obviously be a huge drawn out project i'm just looking for advice, ideas, help with the design, etc.

I also know there is noway to build the 10 bolt rear end to handle that kind of power so im looking at 12 bolt or 9 inch. Any advice or opinions on that would be appreciated also.

It is an extremly long post but thank you for reading, i look forward to everyones advice/opinions
Old 07-12-2012, 06:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Off of boost its just a normal engine... You can drive it normal. If its tuned right it will get the same/similar mileage and drivability as stock.... Depending on what cam, converter, gear... the same things n/a would affect your drivablity. Except boosted to made 800hp you can have a smooth cam and you could get the car to sound/drive like stock. People would laugh at you if you asked them to race if they didnt know it was boosted.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Launching!

A lot of people use stock cranks. Could save you some $$, they're good to around 1k hp.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:07 PM

ok, im just looking for a good cam that wont have any bleed out from the valves, it would be a waste of boost and affect horsepower gains if i build all this boost but half of it gets dumped out the exhaust port. any good ideas on a good cam with no to minimul bleed out
Old 07-12-2012, 05:09 PM

this will be my first build of such a substantial amount of horse power and will be my very first to play with forced induction. Im guess you could say im a lil lost :o
Old 07-12-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Call Geoff at EPS or PatrickG on here. They can spec you a cam for your needs.

As far as your motor, I would just build a 370 (4.030 borex3.622 stroke). Use the stock crank and get you a good set of rods and pistons. Wiseco pistons and Callies rods come to mind. You can get away with the 317 truck heads unless you want to spend money, then get a set of AFR 230's or some All-Pro's.

With a victor style intake you are going to have to cut your cowl and might need another hood. You can get away with an LS6 intake so you won't need to cut anything and keep your hood.

Here is a little thread for reading.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...eo-inside.html

Quick Reply: LQ4 turbo motor build HELP!