Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Opinions on Trans Temp Gauges

Old 07-12-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Opinions on Trans Temp Gauges

Originally I was going to get an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge but I think to save some money I'm just going to get a single trans temp gauge...problem is I don't know which I want.

Auto Meter 3849: GS series short sweep electric ~$74

Auto Meter 6349: Sport-Comp digital black/red ~$95

I'm not sure if one would be more accurate than the other or if the digital is worth the extra $20...thoughts?
Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im personally a fan of analog style gauges with the exception being a wideband.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

You might want to reconsider that decision. Let's say you pay $100 to get one of those shipped to your door. Now, you need to drop the pan, and weld in a bung for the sending unit. Plus, you have to purchase wire, clamps, etc to run the wire to the gauge in the car. You have to purchase new fluid...4 quarts or so...new gasket, and you might as well throw in a filter why you have the pan off. By the time you are done, you will have darn near what you will have in an Aeroforce gauge and yours will only read trans temp. The Aeroforce gauge will blow you away with what it can do. I have one on one of my Ford's...and I really like it. You can have dual displays with one gauge, dual gauges with 4 displays, you can set alarms, clear codes, read codes, and tons of other parameters. And you get to see exactly what the ECM is seeing. I would think hard about your choice. You can find the Aeroforce gauges for a very reasonable price if you look...
Old 07-12-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Buddy of mine said he got an Auto Meter and it was a really simple install, he didn't go through the pan. He plugged his into the pressure test port by the shift linkage. Pretty sure the gauge comes with everything I'd need wire wise, at least according to him, and shipping is free if I get it from WS6Store because I'd be buying it with SFC's and pillar pod...

With the Aeroforce there is a chance I'd have to hardwire it, not sure, no one knows. And being that it's $235 I'd probably have to get it sometime after the converter so there would be a period of not knowing the temp.

My budget for this round of mods is $2k and with the SFC's + install, cooler, converter + install/tuning + flexplate + gauge + pod I'm already over that slightly.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trans temp install:

http://xse.com/leres/ss/gaugepod.html

As for the Aerofroce, I had one in my 99 WS6. I loved that thing, read the trans temp no problem, plug and play.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the link! With your Aeroforce in your 99 did you have to hardwire it or just plug it straight into OBD2?

...Maybe I will just put off the converter a week and get the damn Aeroforce lol
Old 07-12-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
Buddy of mine said he got an Auto Meter and it was a really simple install, he didn't go through the pan. He plugged his into the pressure test port by the shift linkage.
That would be a horrible test of trans temp. I don't know of a single trans builder who would recommend that. And I've never seen the factory use that...and it would be a lot cheaper.

With the Aeroforce there is a chance I'd have to hardwire it, not sure, no one knows.
It's hardwired...but you simply plug their cable into the ALDL connector. Couldn't be simpler. Nothing is wired outside the cabin.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the link! With your Aeroforce in your 99 did you have to hardwire it or just plug it straight into OBD2?

...Maybe I will just put off the converter a week and get the damn Aeroforce lol
You're welcome! I just plugged it right into the OBDII port, that's it! Ran the wire through the defroster vent and down under the dash.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome thanks. I found a local guy that has a 99 Formula with one in his car, he mounted it above the ashtray, he's supposed to be sending pics but I don't want to mount it there and relocate TCS. I thought about a vent mount but maybe a pillar pod is the best.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions on Trans Temp Gauges