Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 04-29-2016, 04:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Interior Rattle fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Rattle fixes?

So I've been doing some research on what to use behind my doors and in the trunk area to get rid of the annoying plastic rattle in my car. I've seen things on other forums for Peel and Seal sold at Home Depot but it starts emitting fumes in hot weather. Dynomat and Hushmat seem to be the best options but are soo expensive. Has anyone had any luck with other products? I've been trying to do searches but haven't really found much.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

after doing more research I found this thread. Found all the answers I need.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-deadning.html
Old 07-12-2012, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I used Hush matt and Ram matt on my car when I did it last year. The hush matt was easier to work with but the costs almost twice what the ram matt does.

To help with vibrations and such in the doors and dash I used an open cell foam. A sound deadener, hushmatt, dynamatt, etc does different things than the open cell foam.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im going with Second Skin for mine. Going to be doing the whole car and see where I am at the end. Frost King doesnt work so gotta try the good stuff.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what i found with my rattling issue was the plastics were rubbing up against eachother and causing the annoying noise (although i havent found the issue under the dash yet) but what i did was line the parts where the plastics meet with double sided tape since they overlap alittle. also where those screws are that hold in the spare tire cover should have foam between the plastic and metal where the screw meets (since the cars are old, its probably worn out) i also found that the hatch plastics (the ones on the hatch itself) had rattled themselves loose thanks to 2 12w3s haha.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Teching In

I welded on subframe connectors and 1/2 my rattles disapeared.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One major annoying interior rattle (under the dash sounding) is from the "hidden" cup holder on the passenger side of the console. There's a little spring that's supposed to connect the plastic of the holder to the wire bottom. The spring pulls it open and holds it tight against the console when closed. When that spring comes off (and usually is hanging on one end still) it allows that wire piece to rattle when it's closed.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rjlawlor646
So I've been doing some research on what to use behind my doors and in the trunk area to get rid of the annoying plastic rattle in my car. I've seen things on other forums for Peel and Seal sold at Home Depot but it starts emitting fumes in hot weather. Dynomat and Hushmat seem to be the best options but are soo expensive. Has anyone had any luck with other products? I've been trying to do searches but haven't really found much.
I used the stuff from the Depot on the rear well and inner quarters and while it's been in the upper 90's and lower 100's the last couple weeks there hasn't been a whiff of smell from it. I will say that all of a sudden there's an annoying squeak coming from the rear and I think its the spare and stuff tho.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

i have some from the backseat area im trying to track down. P.I.T.A
Old 07-15-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

I used second skin - expensive but great stuff. I save some for this fall when I take out the door panels and fix the infamous door crack staples and install my kee audio

Quality product I will say that.

Quick Reply: Interior Rattle fixes?