Carbureted LSX Forum - Another Single Wire Corvette Alternator question

loyaltyisking
07-12-2012, 06:59 PM
I have a carbd LS6 with the corvette alternator. It is a 2000, with a 4 prong plug. I have the pigtail and every other part of the wiring ready minus the freaking alternator. I have searched high n low trying to find some info on my exact setup, or anything that I feel comfortable using as reference. HOW DO I WIRE THE PLUG? My alternator plug has an SFL labeled on it. Thats it. Its carbed and I dont mind running wires. Just dont wanna run the wrong wires. If some one can direct me or fill me in I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

loyaltyisking
07-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Oh I guess I should list a little more info-

I am running the Edelbrock/MSD box
The setup is in a 66 Chevelle, with a new american auto wire harness.
Tried to have powermaster build me a single wire corvette alternator......... Waaaaaay too much $$$

S10xGN
07-12-2012, 07:41 PM
I had originally planned on using the dash lamp but didn't realize the alternator won't work with an LED lamp (after I had just replaced all my dash lamps with LED's). So, on my '03 C-5 setup, I have terminal "F" on the alternator (terminal "B" on the plug) wired directly to a 12v "key on" source.

loyaltyisking
07-12-2012, 07:44 PM
I had originally planned on using the dash lamp but didn't realize the alternator won't work with an LED lamp (after I had just replaced all my dash lamps with LED's). So, on my '03 C-5 setup, I have terminal "F" on the alternator (terminal "B" on the plug) wired directly to a 12v "key on" source.

Just that one wire? Everything I have seen has people using 2 or 3 wires. Sounds simple... What 12v source did you use? I see your setup.. NICE! What times you running in the 1/4?

S10xGN
07-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Just that one wire? Everything I have seen has people using 2 or 3 wires. Sounds simple... What 12v source did you use? I see your setup.. NICE! What times you running in the 1/4?

Yup, works for me. No 1/4 times, this is strictly a street car. No safety gear other than belts...

loyaltyisking
07-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks I will try this sometime this weekend!

72ls1
07-13-2012, 08:21 AM

You should wire in a 470ohm resister in there.

hifi875
07-13-2012, 09:23 AM

what he said. 12v will not turn it on. its something like a 5v turn on.

S10xGN
07-13-2012, 08:34 PM

what he said. 12v will not turn it on. its something like a 5v turn on.

What you're saying is all fine and dandy if you are wiring through the "L" terminal. The "F" terminal on this alternator requires 12v.

loyaltyisking
07-18-2012, 02:54 PM
What you're saying is all fine and dandy if you are wiring through the "L" terminal. The "F" terminal on this alternator requires 12v.

To fill everyone and any one who may be having issues with their alternator... What S10 said worked! I was nervous at first cuz I read you have to wire it differently, but nope. Works great. I checked battery voltage before start, at idle and after shutting motor off. Everything is as it should b. Simple, Thanks S10!