Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rod and main clearance's for 410 stroker and other info?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rod and main clearance's for 410 stroker and other info?

I was reading a little bit on another post here and was wondering are clearance's all the same with strokers?

I still havent got around to getting my motors machine work/balance/and assembling the shortblock yet

what I am doing is trying to get all the right info I can so I can print it out for this machine shop out here. The guy has only done a few stock LS1's and said the iron blocks specs are simular to a small block chevy. So if anyone has any specs/tips or anything at all I should tell him please let me know. I have Clevite and Federal Mogul bearing btw and this is mainly a weekend driver if it maters

TIA

Last edited by SStroked 410; 04-14-2004 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

The specs should be:
Mains .0025
Rods .0025
Side Clearance no more than .0020
Old 04-02-2004, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

thanks also I noticed on my custom spec sheet from Diamond it says something like .080 for the pistons... isnt that a lot? I dont want to have too much and then have piston slap

The guy that had this motor before me said the motor had quite a bit of piston slap but with a 4.030 bore 408ci and Lunati pistons. He said it was because the Lunati pistons that caused the piston slap and I also found out a couple of the pistons were messed up. So I ended up getting new Diamond pistons and going with a 4.040 bore to get rid of some score marks
Old 04-02-2004, 08:42 PM
FormerVendor

.080??????????????

No wonder it had piston slap!!!!!!!!! You sure you don't mean .008" for piston to wall clearance? That still sounds to large. I am doing a 4.125" bore motor for someone and the clearance is .004".
Old 04-04-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 9D9LS
.080??????????????

No wonder it had piston slap!!!!!!!!! You sure you don't mean .008" for piston to wall clearance? That still sounds to large. I am doing a 4.125" bore motor for someone and the clearance is .004".
I think your right .008

what would be best for my motor? I think I was told the clearance was built in so I actually wouldnt have to bore more? Not sure
Old 04-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Clearance is built into the pistons. Were they custom pistons you got from Diamond? If so they made the clearance that big due to what you told them when you ordered. That clearance is fine if you are going to be spraying the car hard. Bearing clearances are not always the same from engine to engine, some builders sent clearances a little different based on what the engine is going to be intended for. You can get away with tighter clearances with the engines main job is going to be basic transportation. If it is going to be a all out race engine or get sprayed often then you need to adjust clearances accordingly.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chris@AP-Engineering
Clearance is built into the pistons. Were they custom pistons you got from Diamond? If so they made the clearance that big due to what you told them when you ordered. That clearance is fine if you are going to be spraying the car hard. Bearing clearances are not always the same from engine to engine, some builders sent clearances a little different based on what the engine is going to be intended for. You can get away with tighter clearances with the engines main job is going to be basic transportation. If it is going to be a all out race engine or get sprayed often then you need to adjust clearances accordingly.
Yes custom pistons from Diamond... I should of sent you a PM about this
since your "the man" when it came diamond pistons. Not my daily driver
This is a street car that I would like to take on a lil cruise here and there also driving the car to the track for a few 1/4 passes. But most of the racing on the street. So not all out race car. I am going to start with about a 200 shot then later on goto a 300-350
at most ever a 400 shot if I get that stupid
so what would be the best clearances for me?
thanks
Old 04-04-2004, 06:19 PM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

I would still set your mains at near .0025, the rods I would open up a little to .0028-.003.