Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Probably have a dead fuel pump, want to make sure...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Probably have a dead fuel pump, want to make sure...

Car would crank but wouldn't start the other morning, out of nowhere. Came home after work to check it and didn't hear the fuel pump priming. Checked the fuse, checked the relay, even swapped the relay with the AC compressor. Still no go. Is there anything else I can check before I go through the hassle of changing out the fuel pump? I have a multimeter handy, but am not really sure where/what to check. I can hear a clicking sound coming from the passenger side of the car when I turn the key, if that matters.

If it does turn out to be a dead pump, do I need to order the whole fuel pump module assembly ($240-$350 on rockauto.com), or do I just need a new fuel pump (such as a Walbro 255)?

Any other advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail, should be around 50 I believe.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

I am having exactly the same problem as you. The only difference is that I have a walbro 255. I have checked the fuse and switched the relays, still no prime. I am guessing my fuel pump is bad which sucks because the walbro as only been in for 2 years now. In the walbros defense I have ran my car low on gas several times and I read walbros don't like that too much.

Anyway I'm getting ready to go do some troubleshooting and here is thread where I got some good info from.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...t-priming.html
Old 07-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

I will check the pressure at the fuel rail, but if I can't even hear the fuel pump priming I'm sure the pressure will be low. I've read about checking the grey wire for voltage, but not sure where to look for that.

Say it is a dead fuel pump, I'll probably just get a whole new module assembly. I had some intermittent issues with the sending unit where it would drop the gas gauge to E randomly. Racetronix has the Delphi assembly for $130, which comes with the stock 150lph pump. Is there any reason I should need to go with a larger pump? I don't have many mods - just lid, full exhaust, and some other components that don't pertain to the engine. Dyno'd 336hp/350tq, if that matters.

Thanks for all the help, it is much appreciated.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Any reason to go with a higher flowing fuel pump when I change it out? Or stick with stock?
Old 07-20-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, get a Walbro 225 from one of the vendors who support these forums.