General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

valvetrain knock

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valvetrain knock

I recently did oil change using casterol 10-30w.then. couple. Days later I swapped. Intakes. Now I noticed valvetrain clatter. Morethen before I drove around town still there.I came home turned. Car off and right on clatter went away. That's. Weird. Any ideas. Maybe oil? Motor has about. 2K miles on it
Old 07-13-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

What intake did you put on?
Old 07-13-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try and snap a vid of the noise. Other than that pull the valve covers and check for anything that jumps out at you. I broke a rocker arm once and it knocked like hell.

You also don't need a period after every word just joshin but no seriously try and post a video that might help up out.

Another thing is the oil your using. When I switched from Amsoil to the German Castrol 0w-30 might pressure was fine but I noticed a little more valvetrain noise.

It might be something as simple as that, these cars just are kind of noisy in that aspect, however, some are much worse than others.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:26 AM

I had ls6 switched to fast 90 combo.I've always used castrol. Oil never had as much clatter its more of a ticking now.it went away but I'm sure it will return ill try again tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:29 AM

I'm definitely takeing off valve cover tomorrow. I think. Clattering is ok but this is more ticking. But goes sway when I give it gas
Old 07-14-2012, 02:21 PM

I haven't had time to check car but y wuld clattering /ticking go away and return.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Teching In

One day my 6.0 2500 truck started to have a pretty loud tick. turned out it was just a donut gasket between the driver side exhaust mani and the y it was connected to.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Try and snap a vid of the noise. Other than that pull the valve covers and check for anything that jumps out at you. I broke a rocker arm once and it knocked like hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-eyocOOdZc

You also don't need a period after every word just joshin but no seriously try and post a video that might help up out.

Another thing is the oil your using. When I switched from Amsoil to the German Castrol 0w-30 might pressure was fine but I noticed a little more valvetrain noise.

It might be something as simple as that, these cars just are kind of noisy in that aspect, however, some are much worse than others.
Time to go back to AMSOIL ZROD