Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Im checking pushrod length on TFS milled heads.. Questions.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default So Im checking pushrod length on TFS milled heads.. Questions.

So I ended up buying HS rockers 1.7 non adjustables. Using Shanes method. Im using 7.500 pushrods as checkers. Im getting practically every valve 1 3/4 turns to 22 ft lbs. So I should be relatively good with 7.500 pushrods for my application guys? BTW stock GM MLS gaskets and stock LS6 block 03 Z06. Heads measured by my local engine builder at 59.7cc.

thanks for all opinions

Oh and my wipe pattern is close to where it should be. Its just a little below center.. this is for all of them. Would some thin shims under the pedestal help completely center it or is a 60/40 centering good enough not to prematurely wear anything out?? Where would I start with shim thickness if I need to?

Thanks once again to any replies!!

Last edited by need4z; 07-14-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Launching!

no one??
Old 07-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Mez
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a number of threads on various forums that go thru step-by-step process of setting up LS rockers and push rods. However, as you know, there are almost as many bad threads.

I'll try to be brief but its a two step process.

Step one is shimming the rocker arms to achieve the smallest and most centered wipe pattern. Don't concern yourself with the pushrod length during this step.

After you get the wipe pattern, then determine correct push rod length for the lifter preload.

Install a pushrod length checker. These screw in and out and are good for .050" per 1 turn. They are available for $20 at Comp Cam. Install it loose. Torque down the rocker arms to 22 ft. lbs. Then adjust the pushrod to zero lash. Remove the pushrod and check the length by screwing it in and counting the number of turns.. If, for example, at zero lash it measures 7.400". To get the proper lifter preload, add another .050" so in this example, 7.450" is the correct length. Don't guess at the push-rod length. Get a pushrod checker.

The rocker arm torque at 22 ft. lbs. is simply the torque on the rocker arms and is not a factor in pushrod length. You could be too short and it will still torque down to 22 ft.lbs. If the pushrods are too long, you can still torque it down to 22 ft.lbs and have too much lifter preload.

To repeat....get the correct wipe pattern using shims. Then get the pushrod length to set up the proper lifter preload. Its that simple.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll be doing this tomorrow and have a question to mez' reply. When getting the wipe pattern correct, do you adjust the p r length checker to where it appears there is zero lash and then check the wipe? I'm going to a set of highly milled heads from factory and its confusing to me that you find wipe pattern and then p r length. Any good walk thru on this, been searching all night and this one makes as much sense as any.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm doing head swap next weekend, so I'll subscribed to this thread.

From mez reply here's what I concluded:

1. Get the wipe pattern set up - any write up for this would be appreciated
2. Measure p rods length
Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You really need to check the wipe pattern with check springs. I prefer to install the check springs then the rockers and move the rockers by hand through the correct lift to attain the wipe pattern. Shim or shave as required. If the wipe is towards the intake side the rockers need to be raised. If they are towards the exhaust side they need to be lowered. Once you sort the wipe pattern out, your pushrod length will change by roughly 1.6 X shim thickness but you need to measure to get the length correct.

Also, since these are TFS heads and the new TFS heads should take a 3/8" OD pushrod, I would move up in diameter as this will greatly stiffen the valve train. Just verify the heads you have will take this larger OD.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm doing this very same thing at the moment, and I'm a little confused. Firstly, I'm having trouble adjusting the checker with everything tourqed down, seems the lower section wants to spin and it won't open up. Any tricks to the trade on this? Secondly is lifter preload, after I think I got the length right, (trial and error by removing the rocker multiple times) Any more turns on the checker .050 for preload seems to want to start to open the valve not compress the lifter? I have brand new LS7 lifters that I soaked in oil for two days before I installed them. Am I doing it right? With the slight milling of the heads and the Cometec gaskets I choose, I should be right around .020 less than stock on my heads.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
You really need to check the wipe pattern with check springs. I prefer to install the check springs then the rockers and move the rockers by hand through the correct lift to attain the wipe pattern. Shim or shave as required. If the wipe is towards the intake side the rockers need to be raised. If they are towards the exhaust side they need to be lowered. Once you sort the wipe pattern out, your pushrod length will change by roughly 1.6 X shim thickness but you need to measure to get the length correct.

Also, since these are TFS heads and the new TFS heads should take a 3/8" OD pushrod, I would move up in diameter as this will greatly stiffen the valve train. Just verify the heads you have will take this larger OD.
I don't have checker springs, is this going be impossible without having the correct size push rods? What steps would Chang?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So Im checking pushrod length on TFS milled heads.. Questions.