Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb with question about tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newb with question about tuning

I am some general questions about tuning. I am a long time LS1 owner but have never messed with tuning.

I recently purchases a 99 WS6 that has some mods. It has long tubes and cam and a few other mods. It was dyno tuned at Race Proven Motorsports (RPM) in Delaware by the previous owner. I would like to purchase my own tuner so I can learn and tweak things as needed. I want to eventually change the heads but that may require a pro tuner at that point.

Do I need the same tuner that RPM used when they tuned it or can I use any of the available tuners?

How do you save the current tune that is in the ECM, so if I mess things up I can get back to the current tune?

Thanks for the help.

Kevin
99WS6
Old 07-15-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

the only tuners i would use is hptuners or efilive.I have hptuners and i am very happy with it.All the handheld tuners are in my opinion useless and a waste of money.If you plan on doing future mods to the car,it will pay off to learn how to tune your own car,but it takes some time and patience.I consider myself a good tuner with heads/cam setups,especially speed density stuff,but i would never attempt a turbo setup or something,because i dont have any experience with it.There is a lot to learn and you will never learn it all,but its also a lot of fun.I really enjoy it.Saving the file from your ecm is as simple as reading it and saving it to your computer,or better yet burning it on a cd and stashing it away in a safe spot,just incase your laptop crashes or something
Old 07-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

hp tuners, hands down.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. I will look into getting hptuners. I guess it does not make any difference what it was tuned with before?

Thanks.

Kevin
99 WS6
Old 07-15-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah it wont matter,as long as they didnt lock it,which they probably didnt.