General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

master cylender/clutch/tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default master cylender/clutch/tranny?

i just bought my trans am and have a couple of ?s when i have it in first gear and i press on the clutch i hear the clunk and feel a buck idk what it is only does it first sometimes second but hardly ever am i not getting full disengagement or do i need a new master and slave idk but i know sometimes i have to fiddle around with the clutch sometimes to start the car sometimes it starts when its on the floor and sometimes it starts when its a little past the middle but also i can feel i have good pressure on the clutch so idk should i do the drill mod
Old 07-15-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bleed the clutch... sounds like you have air in the lines
Old 07-15-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see thats what i was going to try first i just bought the mityvac so as soon as that gets here im going to do that what do i look for next if that doesnt fix the problem?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if bleeding it dosnt fix the engagement issue i would lean towards it having a cracked slave cylinder next... that would cause it to not have sufficient pressure to disengage the clutch... another thing it could be is a bad/damaged pressure plate getting stuck... if bleeding it dosnt do the trick what i would do is sit down and decide what my goals were for the car and decide on a clutch that suits my needs.. in my case it would be either a Monster stage 2 or 3. Monster clutches are great and can be bought from many of our sponsors (Texas-speed, Tick, WS6 store, etc) id replace my slave while i was in there along with my rear main seal since i have the trans out and they tend to leak its a cheap seal to replace so might as well do it..

Also drill mod only puts a bandaid on the shifting at high RPM's problem...
Old 07-24-2012, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get this figured out?

Id strongly lean towards it having air/clutch material in the lines. How does the reservour look? Black?

Run some good fluid through it. Do a good bleed job (pedal AND mity). There are plenty of how-to's around here.